1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Butterscotch SBMM Stingray Classic Ray25

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krovx, Jul 13, 2018.

1. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Been wanting a Ray. Miss my EBMM Classic. Been very impressed with intermediate instruments the past few years and thought the SUBs were a incredible value, wish they existed when I was coming up.

Originally I wanted the 4 but it was out of stock until October so decided to give the 5 a try. Figuring I could give E-C a try. Haven't read much about the Ray2xs.

Overall, pretty impressed. Love that the specs are similar to a SLO and has vintage sized frets, (fretwork is amazing btw) and the neck is satin/oiled and not gloss finished. Action was decent out of the box and tweaked it even better.

I'm trying to be more into stock configs instead of jumping to modifications. Yet, I figured the pickup and electronics would need swapped quickly since I am so used to USA EBMM. To my surprise stock electronics are good. Tone sounded weird so I wondered if the pickup was in classic parallel wiring. Wiring appeared to be Duncan color code and appeared series. Ah ha! Took out the multimeter and measured 6.51k on the black lead and 3.26k on the red/white single coil. Split the red and white and soldered the red to hot and white to ground to achieve parallel. 1.64k reading. There it is! Much more classic tone, and the controls seem to be more responsive. Might keep it as is. Interesting the body is routed for a standard thumbrest 5 style pup, while the pickguard has the classic 2+1 screw parts.

Biggest gripe, being critical, is the pickguard and control plate screws were rushed in and angled. Pretty standard at this price point. String spacing is 17.5mm but the pole pieces are 19-20mm so I wonder if that impacts the output of the B and G. Weight is 9.5 lbs. Not bad for a slab? Haven't weighed a tuner yet to see if some ultralites can help.

Can anyone confirm if this is the same preamp/pickup of the Ray 34/5?

Sorry for rushed photos and multiple posts. Mobile device was being quirky.

20180713_124608~2. 20180713_112257.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    20180713_112306.

Marikk, geof_, mikeyjm2 and 2 others like this.
  3. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    20180713_124624~2.

Marikk, HaphAsSard, mikeyjm2 and 7 others like this.
  4. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It’s gorgeous! Play it in good health!

6. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I am a fool for butterscotch drool

TinIndian and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

hope it plays as good as it looks --- like butterscotch! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

krovx likes this.
  8. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Nice! Congrats. Never quite agreed with the "Let's Cover Up 75% Of The Available Real Estate With A Pickguard" school of thinking adopted by EBMM Ray 5s, so went with a Sterling 5 instead. However, there may be some SBMM butterscotch in my future.

krovx likes this.
  9. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Plays amazingly well for the 15% off new price of $466. Still thinking of swapping for a 4.

Why I always prefered Sterlings. Liked the sleeker design and lack of sharkfin guard. Have to say, I missed the sweeter Alnico especially with the two band.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    JRA likes this.
  10. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Mmmm mm good! Put whipped cream and a cherry on top!
    Congrats!

HaphAsSard and krovx like this.
  11. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    I seriously considered one a month ago but found a Ray35 at a good price. Enjoy!

krovx likes this.
  12. Jimruth

Jimruth Supporting Member

If I plunge back into 5er territory again, this SBMM Ray 25CA is my first acquisition.

krovx and SirMjac28 like this.
  13. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    You'd be happy I bet. Not sure how it compares to the Ray35, but I believe that has a gloss neck? Compared to the sub everything appears to be better quality. The subs I played had rough fret edges and satin finishes.

14. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Wondering how the electronics compare. Do the 25 and 35 share the same?

15. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    The 3x series has a 3-band EQ; the 3xCA series (I believe discontinued) the 2-band EQ.

krovx likes this.
  16. Nice. I have been thinking of getting one.

krovx likes this.
  17. I’m struck by how good it looks with the pickguard removed!

McFarlin and krovx like this.
  18. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Yea, wondered if the 2 bands are the same.

Agreed! Kind of a G&L look. I dig it!

McFarlin likes this.
  19. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It does look great with the p/g removed. I wonder if a clear guard would look as good.

My first StingRay is arriving hopefully next week, so these SR threads now seem to jump-out from the page.

krovx likes this.
  20. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    nice bass. congrats. EB is killin it

krovx likes this.