NBD: Fender American Elite Jazz w/neck(truss) problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman8416, May 4, 2018.

1. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Just received a new Fender American Elite Jazz turquoise blue from Sweetwater about a week ago.
    I went to tweak/tighten the neck after putting some DR Sunbeams on 45-100. I noticed the truss rod was nearly maxed out...and the neck not being quite straight.
    I decided to take it to my luthier. This guy has been in building/repairing and setting up basses and guitars for nearly 30 years. He calls me and tells me...the truss is maxed 100% and the neck is straight....but then warned this is not good for a brand new bass to be doing. Down the road when the season changes and the neck moves it will be maxed and there will be no way to tighten it. Anyway I called Sweetwater early today and have not heard back from them. My salesman told me to call the service department...no answer.....so I left a message and sent them an email as well. I would like to do an exchange or have the neck replaced. Not sure how they will deal with it. Keep you all posted.

2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    call Brad Jahn at Sweetwater...solid guy...he should be able to help

G-Z and Bassman8416 like this.
  3. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    So sorry to hear.
    Fender customer service took good care of me recently. I hope all goes well for you soon!

Bassman8416 likes this.
  4. Bassman8416

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Is Brad in the service/repair dept? Thank you.

5. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Brad is somewhere at the top of the food chain in customer service...helped me out with a bass that had isues last year...

Bassman8416 and G-Z like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sometimes you get a dog. hope things turn out for you. thanks for keeping us posted!

7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Isn’t that a “wheel” type truss rod? I don’t know how you could tell if it was maxed since the wheel is always in contact with the neck.

Bassman8416 likes this.
  8. Bassman8416

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    The wheel won't turn anymore....feels tight...if one was to force it something would snap.

9. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    They'll take care of you. Don't worry!

10. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I see now. I always wondered what a maxed out wheel would do.

11. Bassman8416

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    That is an interesting point though. Hope Sweetwater figures it out.

FunkHead likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021