1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Fender MIM Cabronita Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CiaranQ, Apr 25, 2018.

1. CiaranQ

CiaranQ

Jan 23, 2018
    Australia
    Hey all,

Found this on eBay with a low bid price just before it finished. Ended up getting it for $500 AUD delivered ($380 USD). Pretty happy with that price, and by Australian Used Fender pricing, it's well below average. I think it went under the radar on eBay.

Pretty much in new-ish condition, some swirls the finish but nothing that some cutting compound couldn't fix. Neck is flawless, and the tuners/bridge are still shiny.

Chucked a set of slightly used chromes (hence the fuzzy cottons) on there to tame the highs of the fidelitron pickups, sounds OK so far, but the flats need time to break in.

It's no classic P-bass sound, but I like what it does. It might need a little more EQ tweaking to make it sit in the mix how I like, but that's also no big deal.

IMG_0201.jpg IMG_0203.jpg IMG_0202.jpg

jhb138, wvbass, murmur70 and 9 others like this.
  2. I dig it! I've wanted to try one of these but I've never even seen one in the wild. Enjoy!

CiaranQ likes this.
  3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Gotta love the black / maple !!:thumbsup:

CiaranQ likes this.
  4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Big congrats on the Cabronita! You don’t see many of these come up for sale of late.

Love mine and it's a favorite of my band as well.

CiaranQ likes this.
  5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Congratulations on a fine Fender acquisition! :woot: Just pop in a TV Jones Thunderblade pickup. :bassist:

berlihe, CiaranQ and biguglyman like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice looking ax! congratulations on your instrument! :thumbsup:

CiaranQ likes this.
  7. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have one in sunburst. It's an excellent bass.

CiaranQ likes this.
  8. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I've got the Squier version of that bass and love it. The Thunderblade pickup really makes it speak. Well worth the investment. For the record I used the "neck" position Thunderblade.

tv1.jpg tvclose.jpg

9. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I had one of these which I got for about the same price as you, I loved the neck on it, big and fat, I couldn’t get the pick up to work for me, although I may have been too young to appreciate it!

Congrats

10. J Dykman

J Dykman

Feb 9, 2018
    Been lurking awhile and picked up a Cab today. Lovin' it so far!

Attached Files:

2saddleslab likes this.
  11. CiaranQ

CiaranQ

Jan 23, 2018
    Australia
    I have flipped this since this post. I just liked my 57RI MIJ P bass more.

I've also since acquired a Squier VM Fretless, another BB735A, a JB62 MIJ Jazz Bass (which I have since returned due to a bung neck) and a SBMM Sub Ray 4.

Yeah, I have GAS.

12. nasonm

nasonm

Jan 28, 2004
    Bangor, ME
    I've been on the hunt for one in sunburst...gotta be patient. Eventually I'll find one at a can't-turn-down price!

2saddleslab likes this.
  13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Nice! I’ve never managed to put my hands on one of these, but I like the concept and the look.

2saddleslab likes this.
  14. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I've modded the snot out of mine but the originals are great as is. Cabronitas have a vibe all their own. The centered pickup position really hits the sweet spot.
    88B5DC92-283B-412A-9F7B-B643F0547F51.jpeg
    2615AF35-838C-4B0A-B044-D389F89DCE93.jpeg

15. J Dykman

J Dykman

Feb 9, 2018
    I hope your not offended that I am gonna copy this a little.

2saddleslab likes this.
  16. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I'd be honored. Especially since I copied from @God's Favorite Bass. :D

BassmanM likes this.
  17. Yay!!!

18. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    TV Jones... just sayin'.

BassmanM likes this.
  19. cruiser150768

cruiser150768

Jan 15, 2015
    I put in a Thunderblade first and then a ThunderMag. The Thundermag has a little more agrassive tone. Perfect for playing fast. The sound sits perfect in the mix of a rock band and playing with TI-Flats it has more "wood" in the sound than a Thunderblade.
    ThunderMag.jpg

JimHouchin likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021