1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Fender P-Bass MIM Lake Placid Blue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alpedhuez55, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Alpedhuez55

Alpedhuez55

Dec 9, 2017
    Taylors SC
    I have been a big Iron Maiden Fan for over 35 years. If I were to get a tattoo, it would be Eddie from the Killers album. But I am not a tattoo person, so last year I commisioned a pair of Eddie Tobacco Pipes:

[​IMG]

Back in the 80's, when I used to play bass, I spent many hours trying to play along to their records. Fast forward about 30 years and I am a middle aged man in my 50s you picked up a bass for the first time a couple of months ago. I figured I would get a Christmas present for myself and build a a replica of one of his signature basses. I was close to ordering an SX in blue or a Xaviere in white, slap on a Steve Harris SD Signature PUP into a mirrored pick guard and a high mass bridge and hopefully end up with something playable. But I found a blemished Fender P-bass from one of the big online stores for about $470 and after a week of trying to talk my self out of it, figured what the hell....

[​IMG]

First off, I cannot find the blemish The paint looks perfect and changes hue in different light. Plastic was still on the pick guard and Pup. THe closest I could see was a reddish spot in the maple at the top of the fretboard. I was expectiong some scratches or a ding or two, but nothing.

Playablilty is fantastic. Out of the box the neck was perfect and the action low. No buzzes to be found. I may need to adjust the Pup height. Hopefully nothing changes while it aclimates. The tuners are great as well. I always have to touch up my Ibanez and Schecter, but these are both smooth
    and firm with nonw of the slop on the other basses. I am not sure if or when I will do any upgrades. I will leave it as is for a now. But one good thing about the P-bass is I can just put the set up in a new pickguard and swap it out easily.

And if that is not enough...barring a weather delay due to overnight snow, tomorrow should be a back to back NBD. Stay tuned!!!

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    As a former pipe smoker, let me compliment you on the pipes. Very cool. :cool: Also love the bass - very nice.

3. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Congratulations! You have purchased the perfect launching pad for your project. Good Hunting.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

ha! fun! and congrats on that new instrument! :thumbsup:

Wisebass likes this.
  5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Alpedhuez55 :)

get that mirror on the P and call her your "wrathchild" :D :bassist:

happy NBD :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Wise(b)ass

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have always wanted one of those! Looks great, Congrats!!

7. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Congrats! Up the Irons!

8. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Nice dude! I keep looking at this exact colour combination and wondering to myself if I should just go for one bass and have it be this one. Dig the LPB and maple!

New pickups maybe?

9. You done good. I love my contemporary MIM Standards, especially with the maple board. Much bang for the buck, so bang away righteously!

Spidey2112, BrentSimons and BassmanM like this.
  10. Alpedhuez55

Alpedhuez55

Dec 9, 2017
    Taylors SC
    The color is nice. The flash made it brighter, but it changes a little depending on the light. I will play with it a bit before I decide on new pick ups though.

The only other new basses I have owned have been a pair of Washburns. Out of the box the Fender blows it away for playability. It is certainly a big step up for me!!!

Spidey2112, BrentSimons and Linnin like this.
  11. It's lucky that someone in the factory just happened to set it up the way you like. That's not always the case, but I can confirm that it has never taken me more than a basic 20-minute set up to make mine play amazingly well. They respond really well to all the set-up tweaks, no quirks or hangups. The quality standard is very consistent with this new run of MIM Standards, they're just built correctly right from the start.

12. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    Congrats on a real nice one!
    I'm always amazed at how LPB can change hues with the light. That's what makes it so special :thumbsup:

dabbler likes this.
  13. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Nice bass, same one I have and I love it. I've gone through a couple of different pick guards just to change up to look and the bass has looked amazing with all of them. After the stock white I went with a cream pearloid for a while and now on to black. Next might be anodized gold or brown tort.

14. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    You can always put in one of Steve's signature pickups from Seymour Duncan! I don't think they are very expensive either. :) Great looking bass! Congrats!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    CONGRATS! I almost forgot how awesome Harris' bass sounded.

16. fnp5150

fnp5150

Sep 18, 2017
    Valdosta,GA
    IMG_1845.JPG I have a mint pearloid pickguard on mine. 2 great options in one!

BrentSimons, Artman and Spidey2112 like this.
  17. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I've always liked the look of Steve's bass, and this one you have really looks nice!

Good luck with the modding and enjoying your new bass!

18. The bass is uber-cool, but I have MAJOR pipe envy.

19. Mammoth_Bass

Mammoth_Bass Check out my band Mammothor!! Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    I have a mirror PG in the classifieds.... :thumbsup:

20. Madhouse27

Madhouse27 Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Time to pack that pipe and jam out to some Maiden!

BrentSimons likes this.