NBD!! (Fender Ultra)...and a question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jadenjazz, May 10, 2021.

1. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    If you can play it as it is, I'd do that. If it is a problem, file the nut. Shimming the neck up will affect every string, and sustain. You aren't going to get a desired result from it.filing the nut will drop the string on the first 5 frets slightly. I'd be very careful not to take much off. It's kind of hard to add nut that isn't there.

Guy above me mentioned filing the bridge. Do that instead. Worst case, you can get a new bridge saddle.

2. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Don't file the nut until you know that it's to high. It easy enough to measure with the same feeler gage used to set your relief. Reference it .018 / .022 above the first fret.

3. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    Just modify this saddle. Use a file. It's a simple, inexpensive intervention and will not compromise all the bass.

wes stephenson likes this.
  4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    A bass straight out of the factory whose saddles won't go low enough for proper action is either poorly designed, poorly made, or both. It's 2021, we have CAD and CNC manufacturing that can make things to within a gnat's eyelash of where they were designed to be. This kind of crap should be long gone at this point - especially on a relatively high dollar instrument. I'd be taking the thing back.

Joybass and Fernando Costa like this.
  5. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Too many strings, knobs and switches......:laugh:

6. Nice Bass. I though the Ultra logos were white? It looks way better with the black logo.

7. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    Might be a trick of the light, my logo is gold.
    (Edit: mine is a 4, maybe different for 5)

Thundertips likes this.
  8. Viggo51

Viggo51 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Portland Oregon
    If you intend to keep it tuned to high C I would have someone cut a new bone nut and set it up

deepestend likes this.
  9. Thanks for the info. On the Fender website the logo looks white, but if you watch the video of the demonstration it looks black. I guess it's a trick of the light. Gold's a cool logo colour. I didn't think they would use a white logo. In the pictures on the website the logo looks white and it doesn't look so good.

furym likes this.
  10. Is the Maple neck and headstock tinted a little bit on yours?

11. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Check the relief. I have no hesitation in taking a neck off. Especially with some fenders, you get a ton of overspray and gunk in the neck pocket. Def worth taking a look to see what's in there. Take it to a tech if it's all out of your comfort zone. You may end up having to change the nut slot. I don't see that as a real issue. i mean, it wasn't set up for this tuning in the first place and will obv need some work.

12. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I don't totally disagree, but at the same time the bass wasn't designed for that kind of tuning, right?

LBS-bass likes this.
  13. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    Mine is.

Thundertips likes this.
  14. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    It's not designed to be strung E to C. Use the strings it was designed for and there shouldn't be a problem. It's kinda funny so many are jumping on this when the OP specifically stated he wants to string it out of spec.

StevieMac and deepestend like this.
  15. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Yep. At the Sadowsky shop, they'd have to cut a new nut for alternate tunings.

LBS-bass likes this.
  16. I just got an American Pro II P-Bass and the neck is tinted a little bit like the Ultras. It's a cool look. I noticed, like you did on the Ultra, that the saddles don't have much room left to lower the action. I got it low enough to where I like it and the saddles are almost as low as they will go.

furym likes this.
  17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Ahem. Think for a second. His issues are at the bridge. Bridge saddles are cut with a "V" shape - they are not specific to the gauge of string used, and will work for any gauge of string. Indeed, a C string in a V shape will ride a bit lower than the G that is "normal". The OP is having problems because, even though the string is running lower, it's still too high. The problem is....the bass isn't made right - his running it "out pf spec" isn't causing an issue, it's mitigating it, but...not enough.

The bass is not made right. I stand by my statement, and the facts (when you think about it) support that assertion.

Joybass likes this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    He's not having issues at the nut - it's the bridge end where the problem is.

19. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    honestly, I’d have to see the bass in person to really know if it’s a nut or bridge issue.

20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If you read the original post, it's there in black and white. The saddle won't adjust down far enough.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021