1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Finally found a Squier Vista MusicMaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MakoMan, Jul 30, 2012.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    And it's mine... all mine! Muhahahaha!
    Every now and then these pop up quite reasonably priced in the local classifieds but they are gone so quickly it's almost impossible to snag one. I have missed out on several in the last few months.
    Finally found this one last night and picked it up today. It was a bit of a drive but worth it. It's like it was kept in a safe for 15 years - a dusty safe, mind you. There is still some plastic on the pickguard and the paint is perfect other than one small buckle mark on the back. Someone must have done a recent setup and put flatwounds on it before sitting it in a dusty corner. Really just needs a good cleaning.
    I was going to clean it right after these 'before' photos this afternoon, but once I plugged it in to try it out I couldn't put it down for a few hours. Everything I've read about these is true. It will be coming with me to our band's practice this week.

Attached Files:

2. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    A close up shot of the body

Attached Files:

3. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Very retro, cool looking bass! Never heard of the Squier Vista MusicMaster, learn something new every day.

Is it short scale? What attracted you to this particular model of Squier? Is it a short scale?

Enjoy the bass!

4. ive been gassing for one of those for months

sean is jelly

5. redzebra6

redzebra6

Mar 31, 2010
    Exiled in Texas
    Love the color. I have a black one myself, and I can't ever put it down. It has been the one bass I grab constantly for not just the ease of playing, but the sound too. I find myself hitting the 'bay every so often looking for another one of these, in either that color or the coral pink.

From the pictures, it does look pretty clean. Very nice!

6. Steven1207

Steven1207

Sep 27, 2010
    I had the guitar version in the same colour. It was a really good guitar, it had an interesting push/pull knob that split the humbucker into single coil. I unfortunately had to sell it and I've regretted it since, the Vista series was really brilliantly made.

7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    You have my vote for the coolest new-to-you bass of the week. I'm a sucker for sonic blue anyway. :cool:

8. That blue is one of my favorite colors on a bass.

9. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    It is indeed a short scale. I had read good things about them, primarily on TB. Let's face it, selection in the short scale world is somewhat limited so finding something different is always a gas.

10. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks folks!
    I have to say I absolutely love the neck. A bit chunkier than most SS basses, almost like a short scale Geddy Lee jazz neck.
    I really love my Gretsch G2202 Jr Jet, but I think this Squier might actually blow it out of the water. It has a great vintage tone. The pickup output from string to string is amazingly even... so much so my compressor is almost irrelevant.
    It's quite a substantial bass for a short scale. A very solid bass, perhaps a tad heavier than I like, but I can easily live with it for the tone and the way it plays.

11. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Sweet bass, bro. Good score.

12. ejaggers

ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Hurst, tx
    I had a shot at getting one of these for $175 awhile back, and passed on it because it was black, and I have a black bass already. I've been kicking myself every since. That blue is nice, and I had been holding out for another one to come along. Unfortunately, I'm still holding.

13. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    I would kill for that color! Nice!

14. I had a coral pink one, which I sold years ago. I'm still kicking myself for selling it.

15. Hnz

Hnz

Jul 13, 2010
    The Netherlands
    You lucky, lucky bastard! ;)

Great lookin' bass! Enjoy playing it!