NBD! Hb Pb-50 for modding

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jared Houseman, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    20190411_204456.jpg 20190411_204526.jpg
    I got too caught up in excitement to mod this bass that I completely forgot to take pictures and record sound samples. The bass played great out of the box but was harsh on the high end, but that's probably just the stock strings.

But any let's get to the mods:
    It's going to get a cream or light blue paint job
    Stock turners and nut are staying
    I may reshape the headstock to a tele style but I don't mind the current headstock
    Two saddle brass bridge
    String through body
    And of course strap locks

Im probably going to string it with d'addario flats

Electronics
    A jess loureiro split 51 pickup
    Push/pull pot for series/parallel
    A six way varitone with .015, .033, .047, .082, .1 uf tone caps
    Switchcraft stereo jack
    Black Chicken head knob for the tone

I'll make another post in a few weeks when I have it finished with good pictures and sound clips

2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Can’t wait to see the results.

3. Should be good!!

4. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018
    Look forward to seeing more…

Any particular reason why those capacitor values?

5. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    I just kinda picked values arbitrarily. I knew I wanted .047 to be in the middle and .1 to be the biggest. For the rest I just picked values in-between and semi evenly spaced

6. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Somewhere
    To have "evenly" spaced capacitors, you probably need to follow a logarithmic scale, rather than anything resembling linear progression, if you want to avoid the same issue that occurs with linear taper pots.

7. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    I didn't really put that much into it but I probably should have. I'll probably be using the .047 most of the time anyway. I didn't really need a varitone I just thought it would be cool and different. And more fun to wire as well :)

8. Don't understand non to the "Electronics" part, but will be here to see the results!

9. Never was a fan of those stock D'Addario roundwound string so I agree with the string change. Headstock reshape takes around 10 minutes and worth doing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2 saddle brass bridge and string through are 2 mods I highly recommend.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Never had any trouble with the strap buttons,even after 5 years and countless hours play. Don't disagree with strap locks.Added security is always a good thing.

The Jess Loureiro 51 split coil gets my vote 100%. Fine pickup from one of the good guys :thumbsup:

Varitone . This is a thing I hope we can compare notes on :) I've yet to solder mine up.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  10. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    I used 015, .033, .047, .082, .1 caps like i said. The .033 and .083 were hard differentiate from the .015 and .047 respectful.

The .015 had a very large resonate peak and the .1 was a bit dark for my taste (and has a large volume drop).

I may try using a resistor or trim pot to brighten up the bass overall by emulating the tone being at 75% instead of 100%.

If I were to make another I would try using something around
    .0005, .005, .033, .047, .1 uf caps

One again I have no clue about this stuff and I'm guessing, but that's what I would try if I did it again.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  11. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    I'll eventually get around to posting sound clips when I get the bass fully done.

It's playable now but still needs some work

merseymale and Outtaseezun like this.
  12. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Resistance and capacitance work in a different way.

13. LeesGotitSimple

LeesGotitSimple

Mar 9, 2021
    well, where that finished product at? i'm interested to know what the pickup changeout did for you - was thinking of swapping the stock one with a seymour duncan quarter pound for more punch, but i've not heard of the kind you mentioned

14. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    Ha I forgot I had this thread I've been playing it for the past year and I half I guess and it's done me well. I'll try to get some pictures posted

JRA likes this.
  15. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    Screenshot_20210309-172357_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20210309-172406_Photos.jpg These pictures are from a while ago but most things have stayed the same. The body have undergone some wear in that time but I don't mind The headstock clear coat didn't hold up at all. I didn't give it enough time to cure before using a clip-on tuner and I just didn't do a good job in general.

I went with a jerry sentell split 51p pickup. I had a serious parallel switch for a while but recently went to all series after having some wiring problems. The Vari-tone has stayed the same. I'm using the adario medium lite flat wound strings

Overall I really like this bass. It does that old school sound well and is very non intrusive sounding. It works great in my bluegrass band.

I'm happy with it for now. The only change I could see in the future is maybe adding a raw brass pickguard and a new brass nut. I really love the aged look that the saddles got naturally

The paint could use a touch up but I think the dingy look works in it's favor and it's a workhorse bass, not a beauty queen

16. LeesGotitSimple

LeesGotitSimple

Mar 9, 2021
    awesome! love the cream color, and that bridge is very cool. is it string-thru with that, or just top-mount?

electric bass in a bluegrass band? for shame! ;0

17. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    String through.

My upright will always be my favorite, but you can't beat a good electric for noisy bars

kodiakblair likes this.
  18. Don't expect miracles.

The Duncan SCPB-3 may have a higher DCR but that doesn't mean too much. Both and Roswell use the same alnico 5 slugs. Same slugs in the same position mean they respond to the strings in the same manner i.e. both have a strong initial attack.

Back DCR. The higher reading can boost output but it's no guarantee. I've a single coil wound to 29.9k (twice the SCPB-3), it's not that much louder than the 9.5k Loureiro @Jared Houseman originally planned for his bass.

I went a bit nuts trying different single coils. After 12 pickups it finally got through my thick skull, the position it's placed in is more important than magnet type, coil winds or the name on the bobbin :thumbsup:

19. LeesGotitSimple

LeesGotitSimple

Mar 9, 2021
    Really interesting and helpful stuff! Everyone on here seems to be mod-crazy with these basses so i felit like i would naturally follow and get on board with some mods to improve sound, but i have also heard that the stock pups are quite good. maybe just a sexy new pickguard and put money into amp/effects pedals rather than pickups. cheers!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021