1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD I made a NR T-bird style

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skillet, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    And it's blue!

Certain body styles that are rather off the beaten path or otherwise somewhat "odd" seem to appeal to me. This doesn't stop me from playing Pbasses and Jazzs. I like those too and lots of others.
    But I Really like the shape of the Non-Reverse Thunderbird. I enjoyed wrapping my head around the concept of the nomenclature. It's so silly. I like the idea of John Entwistle and his "Fenderbird".
    These are hard to come by, so I built my own using a neck from Eden.
    20191216_183852 (Medium).jpg

I decided to manage some of the ergonomic challenges of the original design by using a Warwick bridge and spacing the tailpiece back far enough to use long scale strings with a medium scale neck. The 32" scale reduces the reach to the lower frets.

I purchased the bridge and the Warwick tuners from the Talkbass classifieds. Thanks @wolfkeller . I also made use of the TB ads to get a pair of Seymour Duncan passive soapbars (SSB4-S). Thanks @bullitproof .

Some pics.
    20191217_085958 (Medium).jpg 20191217_090012 (Medium).jpg 20191219_122752 (Medium).jpg 20191219_122736 (Medium).jpg 20191219_103044 (Medium).jpg 20191217_085941 (Medium).jpg

I took great inspiration from the work of @Dadagoboi of Cataldo Basses. Also shout out to @godofthunder59 for his timely information regarding the original Gibsons. I think this is going to be one of my regular players. I'm proud of it and wanted to share.

Skillet.

DC Stevens, PillO, Nocturnal and 45 others like this.
  2. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    Great looking bass! Outstanding job.

How long did it take you build?

-GT

Skillet likes this.
  3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    That came out great! Nice upper register access! Sound clips when you get a chance!

Skillet likes this.
  4. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Thanks! It took months of thinking about it, a couple of weeks for the woodwork, then say three weeks for a paint job (including curing time) using Duplicolor rattlecan lacquer topped with Mohawk catalyzed lacquer clear for the body/headstock and an enamel for the back of the neck.

Nocturnal likes this.
  5. bullitproof

bullitproof Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Boston
    That came out awesome man congrats!
    I'm happy to know/see where the pickups went and the Warwick hardware gives it a special touch!
    Funny recently I've been looking into a few non reverse T-birds as well!
    Cheers! :thumbsup:

Skillet likes this.
  6. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Very nice! How was the mounting of bridge/tailpiece? Thinking of converting one of my basses to that. Do you have to drill out holes for the bridge? Thanks.

Skillet likes this.
  7. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I love the adjustability of the bridge and I don't think I've ever used tuners that operate as smoothly as those Warwicks. The Duncans are perfect for this bass, and the EMGs that I had as a second option will find a different home.

Kubicki Fan and Zoobiedood like this.
  8. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Yes both of the pieces of the bridge had to be recessed into the body, so I built templates fitting them and routed out for them. Having that separate tailpiece really opened up string choices for me.

Kubicki Fan and bullitproof like this.
  9. Clutchcargo

Clutchcargo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Illinois
    That's a cool bass Skillet. Well thought out and executed. Congratulations my friend......

Skillet likes this.
  10. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I like it!:woot:

Skillet likes this.
  11. Instagator

Instagator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Very cool..Nice work!

Skillet likes this.
  12. blacktocomm

blacktocomm

Feb 19, 2013
    Maryland
    Sweet

Skillet likes this.
  13. ejaggers

ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    th?id=OIP.jpg

That's a sweet looking bass.

MattZilla and Skillet like this.
  14. Interesting however I dig odd ball stuff, great job.

Skillet likes this.
  15. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Originally I intended to incorporate a pickguard but routed it in such a way I wouldn't have to use one.... I'm leaning toward leaving it like this though.

16. Looks Great!

Skillet likes this.
  17. Nice!

Skillet likes this.
  18. Marhmol

Marhmol Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Bay Area Ca
    Goofy, weird. I like it!!!
    And its blue.

Skillet likes this.
  19. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Very cool!

How are those Duncan’s?

20. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    They've got some real growl and bite to them. I was going to wait until my new pc interface gets here to record some audio, but I may do a quickie recording with my phone (S8). I've been surprised by it's fidelity. I'll see what it can do.

Zoobiedood and semiprohooker like this.