1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Modulus VJ Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Espresto, Aug 10, 2012.

1. This Modulus was purchased last month on eBay, and before reaching me it travelled from Austin, Texas to Connecticut, and then all the way to Shanghai. I was terrified when I opened the case. I half expected it to have been reduced to scrap wood, however, to my surprise, when I took it out of the case it was perfectly fine, and, even more shockingly, in tune. I guess there really is something to the whole graphite neck spiel. I think the bass is stunning, the subtle grain of the alder really highlights the gorgeous fingerboard, and, though I'm usually not a fan of tort pickguards, I think it looks great here. At first I felt like graphite neck looked out of place, but now that I've gotten used to it I actually think it provides a really neat contrast to the more natural colors of the rest of the bass.

The bass sounds excellent, and feels even better. It really is a giant step for me as a bassist to own an instrument like this. My first and, until now, only bass, an MIM P bass, has served me well for four years, but this is on a whole different level. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this bass, but at the moment I couldn't be happier with it.

Picture:

a0db4d8a.

efbd1abe.

Attached Files:

2. HOLY MOLY THAT IS NICE.

3. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    that is one awsome Modulus jazz fretless... i had a top of the line quilted maple full graphite VJ4... didnt like the tone really... but if that is Chechen, which i think it is.... i can image it sounds amazing... very cool bass

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Very nice! If your Modulus is anything like my Modulus, the Honeymoon will NEVER be over!

People like to post threads here about "if you could only have one bass, what would it be". In my case, no question. It would be my Modulus. (Not that I don't love all my other babies)

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Beautiful bass. Enjoy the heck out of it.

6. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    Oh, man. Those are great basses. Enjoy!

7. Dig Wilbur Ware

Dig Wilbur Ware

Mar 7, 2003
    I can feel the warmth ... that'll really serve you.
    Congrats.