1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: my 2015 J bass projects

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ken Lloyd, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Ken Lloyd

Ken Lloyd Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Portland, Maine
    And so it goes. In 2014 I was lucky to land a spot with some really fine players, lots of variety of material, good band, rehearse in guitarist's recording studio. But I was not cutting thru on early gigs. My P and the piano left hand and the drummer's big foot were always in the same sonic space, tone and volume. During 2015 I was trying to find a sound and bass with more tone options. Love the J sound but not a fan of J necks and close string spacing.

So I started my J bass with P neck projects and built three.

Love solid color basses in nice colors, attractive pick guards, P string spacing, but most of all it's the J tone options that helps me get over in my own tonal space.

Here's the three:

Agave blue MIM body, everything else totally redone. Total copper foil shielding. New pickups, electronics, control plate, pots, bridge, pearloid pick guard and MIA P neck. Pups are Fender Super 55 which sound great live and recorded; totally noise free no matter where the volume knobs are positioned. This has become the bass I gig most often.

MIJ Olympic white body and MIJ P neck. Pickups sound great and pots work fine so no other upgrades on this one. Sounds fab. On one gig I played this for a set and my Stingray Hs for a set and the J got over just as well, plus had vintage tone when needed.

Midnight wine MIM body and all electronics redone with MIA parts. Did shielding and replaced everything but the body paint. Installed SD SJB-1 pups which sound great. Vintage tone, warm rich sound. Somehow though, I like the Super 55s in the blue bass better. This deep wine color and dressy pick guard look elegant. Fine playing bass. I snagged a MIM neck that is just as nice as MIA.

Most of the parts I put on these basses came from good guys here on TB. Put new Chromes on all three.

Now it's time to change gears and pickup a 5 string tone monster. Plan to sell two of the J with P neck basses and likely get a Lakland fiver, 55-02 or 55-14. Keep my P, keep my Ray Hs, keep the blue J. Learn to play five string in 2016.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Right on.... Happy New Year!

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I'm totally there with you, although to the inverse. All my basses have Jazz necks, including my one and only Precision, which also happens to be a two-pickup model. It's really all about using what works best in our individual hands, right?

I'm also diggin' the Super 55 I have for the bridge of my P/J parts-bass. In fact, I have a set of them waiting to be put into a Jazz bass this very moment. It'll be the first time I've had a pair working together and I'm very excited. I might even set them up with a series/parallel switchable wiring harness to squeeze even more tonal options out of them.

I like where you're going with them, Ken. You've definitely put some serious elbow grease into finding what works best for you…sonically, ergonomically and aesthetically. Bravo, sir…bravo! :woot: :thumbsup:

garytone likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021