1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD. New Fender MIM Precision. Upgraded Standard line!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tim68, Jun 13, 2018.

1. tim68

tim68

Oct 16, 2013
    Harvest AL
    Was in my local GC yesterday. They had just unloaded a new MIM P bass. Upon closer look, a few things were different...The headstock logo..now the "spaghetti" script. Pickups....looks like Alnicos now... Sunburst finish seems more vivid.. Stamped "F" on the neckplate... hmm..

Yep, The MX Standard series has indeed had a reboot.
    Now, called the "Player" series (yeah, I know...;) ).
    The olde MIM Standard has been given several refinements. Yes, the pickups are Alnico 5s. The sunburst is now three tone. The already impressive build quality of the last several years seems to have gone up by at least a notch. Yes, the price has gone up a bit too...$675. I would say though, that for the instrument you are getting now, that is still a pretty good bargain.

I went back today, traded in some stuff, and picked it up. This thing sounds really nice, for what little time I've had to spend with it so far. Just a really nice, solid, classic P bass.

I have not been able to find any info online so far about these. Fender's site is showing nothing yet.
    I contacted Fender, and they sent me a spec sheet.

Pretty happy! :thumbsup::):cool: 20180613_161049. 20180613_161059. 20180613_161130. 20180613_160944.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. oldspice

oldspice

Mar 4, 2018
    Iowa City, IA
    Nice score. I have, what I guess would now be the previous MIM standard P (2017), and continue to be impressed with the overall quality of that hunk o' wood. Play the living daylights out of that thing!

JGbassman, G-Z and tim68 like this.
  3. tim68

tim68

Oct 16, 2013
    Harvest AL
    Spent some time playing 'er tonight. Very pleased. The pickups sound really good. Lots of lows and low mids. Not muddy, though... you can definitely dial in the highs. Smooth, with hardly any "nasal" tone. I like! :)

Linnin and G-Z like this.
  4. Birddogcof

Birddogcof

Jun 1, 2017
    Utica, MI
    Congrats. Looks very nice.

tim68 and G-Z like this.
  5. Always funny when products are for sale but not on the manufacturers website. Fender has some catching up to do.

Nice bass!

tim68 likes this.
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Fender has always been slow about updating their American website. It's not like it's their primary market or anything. :rolleyes:

Artists rendition of the Fender website department. [citation needed]
    zootopia-trailer-sloth.

To be fair though, they could be hampered by some marketing bozo telling them to keep delaying the updates and revisions for some heretofore unfathomable-except-to-only-them reasons.

7. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    They are on the U.K. Fender website but not easily accessible. They are due to be officially announced on Tuesday.

53164604-F548-4BC2-AA7A-93C15F83F265.

Glazenn likes this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Ah-Ha! So that will be an interesting press release plus some (eventual) informational videos.
    So it looks like the 'Standard' designation is gone from the Fender lexicon. So we now have Players and Professionals.

Youngspanion and OllyW like this.
  9. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Officially on my gas list.

Nice bass. Congratulations.

tim68 likes this.
  10. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Oooh look, a new wheel! This year it is round again!

FunkBear, Glazenn and nonohmic like this.
  11. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Very nice. Definitely has a classier look. Fender keeps upping their game, which - let’s face it - was pretty good to begin with.

tim68 and Linnin like this.
  12. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Supposedly they are now offering maple boards and finishes beyond black and sunburst for us lefties.

nerkoids and Linnin like this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

glad you like your new ax! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

tim68 likes this.
  14. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    The Thomann website shows the following body/board combinations:
    Maple : 3-color sunburst, black (+LH), buttercream (shown below), polar white and tidepool (+LH).
    Pao Ferro (not rosewood): 3-color sunburst (+LH), black, polar white (+LH), sage green metallic, and sonic red (shown below).
    3-ply parchment PG for all.
    13199781_800. 13205591_800.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    randini and Linnin like this.
  15. basslicks

basslicks

Dec 14, 2015
    Michigan
    You honestly simply cannot go wrong with a MIM P. Great gig basses, fun to play, and the P tone is timeless and will never get old. Nice score!

grrg63, Glazenn, outoftune and 3 others like this.
  16. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I agree Basslicks. 100%

Linnin and basslicks like this.
  17. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^Me Too!^^^

18. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    ^^^And me!^^^

Linnin likes this.
  19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Gotta hand it to them for calling this one Tidepool.
    I'd love to meet the guy who came up with the name and anyone who might've approved it.
    0149802513_gtr_frt_001_rr.

nelldnine, tim68 and Linnin like this.
  20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Need to see it in real life, and you know artists and art directors.

tim68 and jd56hawk like this.