1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD / NGD - Getting Back to What I Love... (pic-heavy)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sludgetail, Feb 28, 2018.

1. sludgetail

sludgetail Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    Hi Fellow TB'ers...

First off, I just wanted to thank all of you for all of the great content over the years... I've been a lurker forever and recently officially joined TalkBass, so I'm excited to meet and interact with all of you :)

I grew up with a love for bass guitar for as long as I can remember, though I started, like many, on an acoustic guitar at age 8.

At 13, I moved to a new city and I joined a band who was in search of a bass player. This was the Recycler-ads era, though the guys approached me at lunchtime in junior high. Of course, guitar was taken and our guitar player lived next door to the "cool older guy" (18 or 19 at the time) who would end up writing our music and helping us with lessons, inevitable trips to Guitar Center for strings, and who was kind enough to record us -- this was the Fostex Reel-to-Reel days... at least that's what we used (before the Tascam HD 8-tracks and of course those quirky MiniDisc 8-track recorders)...

Anyhow, spent years on bass in a few funk bands, and for the last 10-12 years, I've been playing my basses, but I'd sold all my heavy gear and amps. It's kinda crazy because I have only plugged-in at music stores, and when I'm recording or doodling on ProTools.

Needless to say, I missed the sound of a thumpy little amp and of course that new bass smell... plus the creature comforts of envelope filters, good compression and an octave, which were my go-to back in the day. Sorry for the long long rant, but wanted to introduce myself and give some back-story to where I'm at...

Last week, I purchased a new Flea Jazz Bass Road Worn '61 as well as a Fender Rumble 100 to practice with... of course, I had to grab some pedals as well, and just picked it all up from the FedEx by my house (we have porch pirates in the area). Wanted to share the new gear per a TB'er's request and tell you how excited I am. I shot a short vid of the bass to show off the grain in the rosewood on the fretboard, and give others a chance to see the bass up-close, since that's what I was looking for when searching for one. Other details on the bass and how she feels/plays are in the video description.

The Fender Rumble 100 surprised the heck out of me -- so much sound in a small package. Perfect for thumping around and I'm absolutely blown away by the price of these things nowadays. You can probably see by the gear I used to own (on my profile) that I haven't played-out quite a while... so these new Class D amps are tripping me out and I'm genuinely excited to share the journey with all of you.

Ps - the pedal setup is one of my favorites. That's the sound I'd been craving for years, and out of such a small package. Excited to learn more from you guys and hope you have a great day, thanks for reading.

Now, some pics and a vid, freshly unboxed and shot with the FujiFilm XT-2 in 4k. Tried to capture that grain pattern on the fretboard for you (not sure if it's called a flame for rosewood)!

USE1.JPG USE3.JPG USE2.JPG USE8.JPG

USE9.JPG
    USE10.JPG
    USE11.JPG
    USE5.JPG

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Awesome, congrats!

sludgetail likes this.
  3. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    Thanks Crusher, appreciate the welcome to TB and kind words + you checking it out!

4. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Sweet rig! I'e got the rumble 100 too and can' imagine I'll need much more for a good while. A lot of sounds comes out of that thing and you can carry it with your pinky.

Seems the funk never left you brother!! (Or sister)

sludgetail likes this.
  5. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    Hey nonohmic, thanks for checking it out, truly appreciated -- yes, still trying to stay funky and live a happy life :)) For sure on the Fender Rumble 100, I tripped out when I first heard it at the store and can't believe so much sound comes out of that little package... priced great for what she does -- I don't imagine I'll be needing anything else until I play-out again.

Much love sent your way and thanks again! (and yes, 'brother' is right!)

6. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Thanks for your introduction and report. That's one of the reasons I love TB. :thumbsup:

Now play the hell out of that thang!

sludgetail likes this.
  7. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    Thanks brother, indeed that's what I've seen from TB even as a non-member for so long. Thank you for checking it out and for the read, and 10-4 -- will do!!

BassmanM likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021