NBD.....Something Fender should have built.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndukane65, Sep 18, 2021.

1. ndukane65

ndukane65

Mar 11, 2016
    Cranford, NJ
    IMG_0232.jpeg Hey there...this is my first thread. (above-Klaus Voormann in the studio 1973)
    MY SUMMER PROJECT.......
    Back on June 23rd I decided that Klaus Voormann (Who's Klaus Voormann???https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Voormann) played a very nice looking bass back in the 60's into the mid-70's on many great albums by John, George, Ringo and others. Why hasn't Fender paid homage to this wonderful German bassist? So on that day I decided that I would build a Klaus Voorman Tribute Precison Bass. I ordered the ash body from Warmoth 6/30 and waited over a month to get it. I slowly ordered all the parts like pickup, bridge, pickguard etc. When I got it I had to prepare it for painting so that meant sanding and filling the pores and two coats of shellac. Then I shipped it off to Aurora, IL to my artist friend Sara Gauthier who did an amazing job recreating Klaus' bass from the the scarce photos we found on the web. I got it back and then had to spray 3 coats of nitrocellulose satin lacquer on the body and waited 14 days for it to dry. Finally I put all the parts including the expensive Fender neck in the new brown case and brought to luthier Jerry Pietrzak who skillfully assembled and setup everything within a week. All in all it took 12 weeks to create this very cool bass. It plays/sounds awesome! I'm very pleased with how it came out! I took many photos but the best ones were taken today by my photographer friend Frank Little. Also, I decided to include a portfolio in the case just like Fender Custom Shop guitars get and that was made possible by Kim Thornton. This bass is essentially a Fender American Original 60's Precision except for the body. All the other parts the same Fender parts of that bass. IMG_9218.jpeg IMG_9225.jpeg IMG_1665.jpeg IMG_1646.jpeg IMG_1635.jpeg IMG_1640.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    Wonderful! Klaus Voormann has a very extensive resume. I like to watch youtube videos of him in studio with Lennon, George, Eric, and many other artists. I wish I could emulate his technique and finger style.

Eric66, shojii, Rip Van Dan and 7 others like this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Cool bass!

His work on Boom-Boom is other-worldly.

Eric66, ndukane65 and BassToGoGo like this.
  4. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nice.
    Go…mann.

Eric66 and ndukane65 like this.
  5. tindrum

tindrum Supporting Member

May 2, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    Oh man!!! Seriously AWESOME!

6. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Nice work. Was Klaus’s bass painted by the Dutch graphic art group The Fool?

ndukane65, nixdad and bobyoung53 like this.
  7. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    Looks amazing-congrats, and great work!

Eric66 and ndukane65 like this.
  8. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Wow, that is simply fantastic! Amazing job on a one-of-a-kind tribute bass. :thumbsup:

Eric66, ndukane65 and nixdad like this.
  9. ShawnG

ShawnG Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    Very cool! Really well done. Congrats!!

ndukane65 and nixdad like this.
  10. basshawk21

basshawk21 Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Very cool. Nice work.

ndukane65 likes this.
  11. RSey716

RSey716 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Panhandle of Florida
    Wow... Fantastic job!

ndukane65 likes this.
  12. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    That looks fantastic!
    Well done sir!

ndukane65 likes this.
  13. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I've always loved Klaus's work and your bass came out beautifully, Fender should do those.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Klaus did it himself. He’s an excellent artist.

1960jbass, B-Mac, JIO and 15 others like this.
  15. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Of course. I forgot that was his education. Now I recall he also did the Beatles Revolver album cover art.

His bass is very well done. Lots of rich texture in two dimensions. I also like his choice of bare wood elsewhere and on the back with a singular image on it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    B-Mac, tindrum, Groove Doctor and 7 others like this.
  16. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    Beautiful

17. Janforth

Janforth Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Florida
    That bass looks awesome, nice work, and you’re right, that is something Fender should’ve built.

18. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Firstly, that's amazing!

Secondly, is there a hidden meaning behind the shift from blue eyes...

16320492309053539880755426556529-01.jpeg

...to brown eyes...

16320492567228655267523388466475-01.jpeg

nixdad, jimmyb, mb94952 and 4 others like this.
  19. Wonderful tribute to Klaus who was a great bassist and artist, but seriously IF Fender had built it how many do you think they would have actually sold? The graphics are a personal statement, too much so for very many to want to copy I would think. Maybe a psychedelic tribute band? But you did a beautiful job replicating it. Of course when you look at some of the signature models Fender has built, maybe you have a point. :D

ndukane65, andare and nixdad like this.
  20. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Very cool!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021