1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Squier Cabronita Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassstrangler, Jan 4, 2016.

1. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    I had the intent of selling my 2015 Squier candy apple red VM 70's Jazz Bass on CL. I've got too many Jazzes so wanted to thin the heard to three. Then I got a message from a nice fellow wanting to know if I wanted to trade for a 2013 Cabronita. Did my checking and jumped on it. It is in 99% condition and my J was basically brand new. I wanted a black Precision with a maple neck and white guard and this was not a traditional P so it was perfect. I'm really happy with it and it plays and sounds great. I switched out the pickguard screws for black and put proper P bass knobs on it. I hate the slide on knobs. Polished it up and put a fresh coat of carnauba on it and it's awesome! DSCN1381.JPG DSCN1382.JPG DSCN1383.JPG DSCN1384.JPG DSCN1385.JPG DSCN1386.JPG

2. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    I did swap out the bridge for a Fender Standard after I took the pictures. It seemed to not only seem more vintage it just looks more appropriate.

3. Looks killer. What does it sound like compared to a regular P? How's the neck?

bassstrangler likes this.
  4. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    It sounds a bit thumpier, and the neck is wonderful. Overall, I'm impressed with the build and quality. It was a fluke that this trade happened as I wasn't looking for another bass as I really need to thin the herd. But, hey it's a kick butt bass and it looks awesome with the vintage style bridge.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    Bassic Playing likes this.
  5. Great bass! I've played a couple fenders like this and they both sounded good. Also like that Gretsch style pickup. Kinda laughed when I heard they weren't Gretsch filtertron pickups, but fender fidelitron pickups! Anyways, nice bass.

6. Ninevolt

Ninevolt

Nov 26, 2015
    Cool bass!

more gas...

7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    :thumbsup:
    My local GC never bring in the Cabronita bass guitar. I licking with the look.
    Some player mention the stock pup is unbalance E,A Vs D,G sound, is it true ??

8. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    The stock pup seems pretty well balanced to my ears.

Yahboy likes this.
  9. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Nice score congrats! :bassist:

I just played one of these (same year) on Saturday. I was impressed with the quality/finishing, especially the neck and fret work.

10. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Itsw a great bass, too bad they are no longer available. I blindly lucked into mine.

11. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    When MF had a Stupid Deal Of The Day on them last March, I ordered one. At the identical time, one showed up on CL. It was brand new in every way, so I cancelled the MF DOD and bought the one locally. For $125 and getting to play it first, a definite no brainer. Tweaked the set-up just a little for my tastes and made myself very happy. A great bass. Hope you enjoy yours.
    :thumbsup:

12. JimHouchin

JimHouchin

Mar 19, 2016
    Yep... BUMP.... just ordered one for $280 delivered.... a TV Jones Thunder'Blade is on the way! Along with a vintage brass bridge! Now I need to find some tuning keys and figure out what guts to put under that REAL DEAL pickup. Wish me luck... pictures to come.

13. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Congrats. Love my MIM Cabronita and also did the ThunderBlade mod as well as a vintage string thru bridge.

Make sure to post pics!