NBD: Squier Jazz Paranormal Series with Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hardbassjunkie, Mar 6, 2021.

1. My first impression when I saw pictures of this bass was an "eye-roll." The look didn't appeal to me at first and I was really upset that the high end Squiers were now $560 CAD plus tax which would be around $615. I've also owned a few Jazz basses and could never fall in love with any of them, I always felt they sounded "meek" compared to Precision basses.

Then, I saw an ad at my local store putting these on sale for $450, and I happened to have a few things to trade in, also I been in lock down since Christmas and the idea of going to a store to try a bass was too good to turn down. When I watched Youtube videos, I loved the sound and when I read reviews here, people seemed happy.

I got to the store and fell in love right away. I plugged it into an Ampeg BA115 and it was the sound I was looking for. The classic Jazz sound with a bit of bite to it. I also had a Jazz Player to compare. They sounded quite similar and I admit, if all thing were equal I would have taken home the player (lighter weight and more comfy neck) but the Paranormal was half the price so I snagged it.

I am in no way a bass expert, just a guy that has owned enough basses and knows a few indicators of quality. Here is my subjective review, hope people enjoy.

Sound:

I played around with the knobs and I was able to get a huge variety of sounds. However, I like to find what i like and keep it there. For now I like the neck and bridge pick-up at 100% and the neck tone at 100% and bridge tone at 50%. Like I said earlier the best way I can describe it is the classic jazz sound with some bite. It sounded very close to the Jazz Player I tried with it.

Build Quality:

The million dollar question: How does it compare to the Chinese Classic Vibes?

I owned a Silver CV Jazz bass before and I would say that if it was better quality, it would not be by a wide margin. I can comfortably say that the Paranormal bass that I bought feels much better then any of the Indonesian CVs I played. To be fair, the Indo CVs I tried typically had dried out fret boards and fret sprout, which does not necessarily mean the quality is bad but first impressions are everything. I could not find anything wrong with this bass.

My only small complaint is the weigh. This one weighs 9.8 lbs (I held it while standing on a scale, not sure how accurate that is) It is heavier than I like but not heavy enough to be a deal breaker.

Set-up:

No fret sprout. Intonation great. Action Great. Neck straight. A little rattle on the AA string, for some reason I feel it's coming from the bridge not the nut. I've played much more expensive basses with an A string rattle, I'm sure a good set up will fix it. I couldn't hear it in the store but could hear it when I got home and played in low volumes.

Aesthetic:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think this is a great looking bass. It looks like a high quality bass. The finish is really nice. I think white always looks good on stage.

Overall:

This may be too heavy for some gigs but for the ones where my sets are only 20 minutes or so I could probably handle it. This would be an amazing bass for a beginner. I believe it is a massive upgrade from the $250-$300 range basses. It does toe to toe with the the MIM Fenders. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a Jazz bass in their arsenal but doesn't want to spend a ton of money.

It certainly help that it came in perfect condition and with a decent set up, which I do not always see with Squier Basses. Will I keep this around?(there are only 2 basses I have that I have vowed to never sell, otherwise I rotate around a great deal). Instinctively, I doubt this is a forever bass but we will have to see after I record and play with my band. I am very interested in see how this bass sounds in the mix. I have a feeling it will cut through just fine.
    20210306_160427.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-06 at 9.30.09 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-03-06 at 9.30.14 PM.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  2. Eon Sky

Eon Sky Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Nice color choice, and thanks for the review! The pickguard and knobs stylistically remind me of a Schecter (which I know Schecter technically should remind someone of Fender, but I digress). I like seeing Fender branch out stylistically in this way, since their straight up body style changes never seem to go over well or have any real longevity. And I'm a sucker for stacked pots.

Rock it out in good health, and happy NBD!

3. Fenwick

Fenwick

Dec 9, 2012
    Montreal
    TBH - feels like they took a jazz bass and slapped a Tele guard & plate with stacked knobs on it. That is, of course, an appeal on it's own too.

4. That's pretty much it! lol

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Fenwick likes this.
  5. Love the way this bass looks. $450 is a good price for sure.

6. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Big fan as well :D

7. gg22

gg22

Jan 25, 2020
    I would remove the pickguard and see how it looks. I think it will look much better.

SunnBass likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021