1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Squier VM Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BEADG63, Jul 11, 2018.

1. BEADG63

BEADG63 Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    My first Squier, and I'm floored. I've never even picked one up before and, to be honest had every intention of modding the heck out of this thing...I could not put it down. I can't even believe how nice this thing is for what I paid, and it sounds great. Resonant, growly, just really super. I am probably leaving this alone and keeping it. Couple pics from the Reverb site...I'll take a few more later

Attached Files:

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    My number 1 bass is a USA-made G&L L2000 but that didn’t stop me from buying a Squier VM Jazz two months ago.
    I put a black Babicz bridge on it and a black metal control plate to match the pickguard, and proper strings, of course, but I’m not going to be swapping out the pickups for the Lace Sensor Man ‘O War pickups I bought awhile back...doesn’t need them, the tone is perfect.
    No need for a Fender Jazz for me with this thing.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    BEADG63 likes this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    This is a great underate Indonesian made bass guitar on Talkbass. Just because she name “Squier”.
    Current VM series bass quality is pair or even better than pre-2018 mim std Series, now the new mim Player series become as good as discontinued china make Morden Player series.

My2Cents

4. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Love my Squier. I have to agree, the quality of these Indonesian made units is exemplary... especially when you consider the price. Got this one off CL for $120!

newbass.

BEADG63 and godofthunder59 like this.
  5. PoppaJoe

PoppaJoe

Nov 24, 2016
    I have two VM : a natural finish jazz and a CAR P. I love them both as they are, inexpensive and amazingly good. Once setup is done, they play like butter. The tone is amazing as well. I put Chromes on the P they're never going off! :woot:

BEADG63 likes this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    lol your post mirrors mine a few months ago when I snagged one of these PJs in new cond. for half price with plans to mod extensively and otherwise abuse, til I played it... other than swapping in fatter stainless steel screws for the skinny cast neck plate trash they use it's remained in it's minty state and indeed is impressive overall. very light and streamlined it sits close by and easy to grab any time. as usual with any bass it can be improved to taste with new electronics but I'm in no rush, it's a ton of fun as is.
    congrats on making the Squier plunge and becoming a new fan.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    BEADG63 likes this.
  7. soulman969

soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Colorado
    Except for those who judge with their eyes I don't know why anyone would think they aren't very solid basses.

They aren't as fancy as some but IME cosmetics alone never made a bass sound better.

I have two Classic Vibes I've had for years. Both have Basswood bodies and have traveled in padded gig bags. Neither has a mark on them so that's another myth disproven. They don't fall apart or get beaten up when gigged because the wood is too soft. Not unless someone is pretty careless with one.

The CVs and at least some of the VMs are made to MIA specs so aftermarket parts are easy to obtain and install.

Both of mine have Bill Lawrence Pickups and Babizc FCH Bridges and are as good as any of the half dozen or so MIA Fender Basses I've ever owned. Those designs have been around for decades and with CNC machines and reasonably skilled labor it's not all that hard to produce one no matter where it's made.

Any cost cutting done with pickups and electronics can easily be upgraded as can their bridges if one chooses and even after upgrades most would cost less than a single MIM bass and less than 50% of a new MIA bass. I've had nothing but compliments on both of mine. They're both top shelf basses.

Players should play whatever they prefer of course but there's no reason to avoid these basses just because of their brand.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    PoppaJoe, Bass V and Yahboy like this.