1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Starry Night SLO Special Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakka1, Mar 4, 2017.

1. jakka1

jakka1 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Pittsburg, Kansas
    I know there have been a few other Starry Night NBD posts lately, but I had to join the party. I was surprised when I stumbled upon this SLO Special listed by Willcutt Guitars. It's got to be super rare as I have not seen any other SLOs listed for this run. Hard to say if anyone else ordered one since EBMM doesn't disclose production numbers but there can't be many. Pics do not do it justice. It is difficult capture this finish. I took a few outside cell phone shots to show off more of the sparkle. In different lighting the outer edges can either appear darker black/grey or sometimes more blue/purple. The roasted flame on the neck is DEEP. Best I've ever witnessed with my own eyes. It's like it moves as the light hits it from different angles. Plays like a dream! Can't wait to spend some more time with it. IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0375.JPG IMG_0370.JPG IMG_0376.JPG IMG_0371.JPG E99120-2. IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0372.JPG

2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Congrats first!

man what did they do? (to put a frettboard onto that awesome piece of maple????) :banghead: :crying:
    maybe they did it by night? :D:D:D

But the bodyfinish takes you to the stars and back!!!! drooldrooldrool

have fun with it

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

jakka1, twinjet and andruca like this.
  3. Thummel

Thummel Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    Wow, what a gorgeous Stingray! If I didn't already have a really nice Stingray I would definitely go with a starry night. Well played my friend.

jakka1 likes this.
  4. This would be one of the two SLO necks I've seen with this finish (I'm sure there are others). The other was an HH, but its neck was nowhere near as nice, congrats.

jakka1 likes this.
  5. CGremlin

CGremlin Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Beautiful instrument. I've got two BFR Rays, and EBMM's roasted necks are just to die for. Both of mine are gloss over the entire neck, natural headstock, with ebony fretboards.

pudgychef and jakka1 like this.
  6. Ikkir

Ikkir

Jun 26, 2005
    Swansea, UK
    That bass is absolutely perfect. I wouldn't change a thing about it!

jakka1 likes this.
  7. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

very nice! a special look! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

jakka1 likes this.
  8. Groovin-G

Groovin-G

Jan 29, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    Wow! Verrrrrry nice... I wanted one of these also but couldn't wait (in Canada) so I went with black (first choice before these came out). This is beautiful. Congratulations!

jakka1 likes this.
  9. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    That may be the most beautiful Stingray I have laid eyes on. The fretboard being dot-free just makes the finish pop. Congrats!

10. jakka1

jakka1 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Pittsburg, Kansas
    Thanks! Good to know! I don't see what the harm is in disclosing production numbers:rollno:. Regardless... there can't be many of them out there. I'm biased, but I think this is the nicest neck from this run that I have seen (just based off of online pics).

Justice Graves likes this.
  11. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    It's full of stars!:woot:

Inky13 and jakka1 like this.
  12. Mother of god. drooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrool

Crusher47 and jakka1 like this.
  13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I think this is my favorite Stingray ever.

I love the Starry Night PDN instruments (I always wanted a MM with an ebony board) and a Stingray with the thinner neck and matching headstock is EXACTLY what I would order. And that roasted neck . . .

jakka1 likes this.
  14. jakka1

jakka1 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Pittsburg, Kansas
    Yes... you have to wonder what might have been with the flamed maple fretboard. I'm not too broken up about it though. I have that box checked with my 5 string. :D P1010438.

15. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    This might be my favorite finish EBMM has ever done. I generally prefer maple fret boards, but the way this bass is is perfect!

Ikkir and jakka1 like this.
  16. Heyturnup

Heyturnup

Mar 28, 2016
    idaho
    I'm unbiased, but I think that is the nicest neck I've seen, and really starry too! Congrats!

jakka1 likes this.
  17. jakka1

jakka1 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Pittsburg, Kansas
    Thanks all!!! As an extra added bonus, she only weighs 9.3 lbs. Pretty Lightweight for a Stingray.

18. jjmuckluckjr

jjmuckluckjr

Mar 24, 2015
    Break out the Hubble Telescope for this beautiful beast. Well played my friend.

jakka1 likes this.
  19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Daaaaaaaaaaaang. You guys are killing me with these things. They are just dead sexy.

Congrats!

jakka1 likes this.