NBD: StingRay Old Smoothie + low-mid question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kerem Koseoglu, Sep 14, 2020.

1. In my current power trio rock project, it became evident that I will fill the bottom & top end and leave the mids to the guitar player. May be unusual for some, but that's the result of our tonal experiments.

I know that StingRay's are fit for this purpose, so I went to the shop to try some. The Classic they had was good, but had a bad E-string with fluctuating intonation across the board; which didn't get better in spite of the local Luthier spending almost 2 hours on it - lowering the pickup, re-installing saddles, changing strings, doing setup and whatnot. Weird.

Meanwhile, I played and fell in love with the Old Smoothie; which has the StingRay DNA with a little less aggression. That matches my taste and works wonderfully for the scooped sound I was aiming for; especially with overdrive.

So here I am, with yet another NBD post!

I have a question for StingRay experts though:

❓If I need more mids for an alternative style of music (jazz, blues, classic rock); I figured that I can do that by keeping the onboard bass & treble close to 50% (adjusting to taste) and boosting 450Hz & 900Hz slightly on my EQ pedal. Does that seem OK to you, or do you have any further suggestions?

It obviously doesn't sound like a P-Bass or something, but occupies a similar frequency range - if I'm not mistaken.

For those who have read so far, here is some eye-candy.

IMG_4274.jpg IMG_4285.jpg

byoung93888 and kobass like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nice bass!

As for your EQ questions, yeah simply leave the EQ on the bass at flat and use your ears on the EQ pedal and/or amp.

Kerem Koseoglu likes this.
  3. byoung93888

byoung93888

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Nice, congrats!

Kerem Koseoglu likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021