NBD - Thomann Europe 2TN (Strunal)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bebopalamabama, May 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. An exciting day, my first double bass. Apparently made by Strunal, I think it's a thing of beauty. I'm a fretless bass guitarist so I have little idea of how to set up and make it sound good or play this darn thing (other than my research on this forum) but it looks incredibly nice. Let's hope the cats don't try to climb it.

This is the hybrid version that is Tineo wood laminate on back and sides and the top is carved maple I think. So far the only thing I don't like is the fingerboard which was described as 'blackwood' but just looks painted with blackboard paint, also it is bevelled which I only found out about when I committed to purchase and I don't think that is a help, probably just a hindrance.
    bass.jpg

There are a few blemishes but this is a fairly inexpensive instrument, so maybe I have to expect it. Does the knot in the carved soundboard matter? I will have to get a bow and see how it sounds.

At some point I'll have to take some 'proper' pictures but for now, I'll feast my eyes for a bit.

IMG_0424_L.jpg

Lofreck, Joshua and Oddly like this.
  2. basscat35

basscat35

Mar 15, 2005
    nutley.nj
    Although my experience with Strunal is limited, I`ve found them to be decent, playable instruments. Don`t worry about the bevel; I guarantee the more you play, the less you`ll think about it. You should get a bow; that will help with intonation, etc. I don`t think the knot matters; maybe someone with more knowledge on that will chime in. If you don`t take the instrument right away to a luthier for a set up, you should at least have an experienced player play it and give you his/her opinion on what it may need. Yes it`s a beauty----good luck.

Bebopalamabama likes this.
  3. Thanks, I think I'll take it to the luthier next week to get it looked over and get a bow. So far I've tuned it and it does have a really nice sustain.

4. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Congratulations on your new bass. Have fun!

5. I’ve been very happy with my Strunal 5/35!
    They’re not as common here in the States, but they are indeed a sturdy Czech workhorse and I think are a good value in their price range. Yours looks especially nice as the usual glossy orange finish is my biggest gripe...

As to your painted fingerboard, it is a cost cutting alternative, but in time certainly can be upgraded.
    Mine has an ebony fingerboard but also has the the Romberg bevel which honestly doesn’t bother me at all and does give your E string a bit more room if you’re diggin in with low tension synthetic gut strings.

Ya done good buddy, I hope you enjoy the hell out of it!

Bebopalamabama likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021