1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - US Vintage '62 Jazz Bass - Perfect!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dwight, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Dwight

Dwight

Apr 9, 2012
    The brown truck just dropped off my new "62 Jazz Bass" in 3TSB. The Bass is absolutely perfect, not one imperfection in the build quality or finish. The concentric pots make a little mechanical noise and the action is a little higher than my Pedulla, but it sounds really good. Weight is about 9 and 1/4 lbs. It will make good company for my '62 3TSB Telecaster Custom and Stratocaster.

Posted in response to Fender Quality. I'm giving them an "A".

2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    The Fender detractors will say you were lucky to get a good one. ;)

Congratulations on your new bass. It's fun to have a really classically styled bass, and I'm sure it sounds great! BTW, we need pics!

3. Dwight

Dwight

Apr 9, 2012
    Thanks! Here are a few pictures after a set up and new Chromes.

Fender62JazzBassUSRI.jpg

US62VintageRIJazzBass.gif

JazzBassHeadstock62RI.gif

IMG_5513.gif

4. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Congrats on the new addition! I hope you find as much pleasure in it as I have found in mine. Every other bass I play is compared to it, and truthfully, none ever measure up on all the points my Jazz does.

5. MF_Maher

MF_Maher

Sep 5, 2009
    Central VA
    It's beautiful--have fun!

6. buggy

buggy

Jun 1, 2013
    Hi Dwigth, would you help me? I wanna buy one bass like yours and I have one doubt: is there a diferent texture at the decal area on headstock? I mean, the neck gloss is very shiny but, I see a rough area around and under the Fender logo at the bass that I intent to buy. Is this normal?

7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Nice! The noise may be the indexing ring under the tone controls, and if so it is completely normal.

8. Congrats. Love mine too!

9. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Not a fan of the stacked pots look but that is a gorgeous bass :) Have fun playing the frets off her!

10. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    I picked up a used 3TSB '62 just like that one. Good luck!

It was a 1 owner bass but he heavily toured with it with a semi-major country act. Had a few chips here and there (nitro ya know) but has such exquisite build quality. Just a solid professional feeling bass.

IMO, nice pickups for stock also. The stacked knobs take some getting used to but do give it a slightly different sound from my other 6 jazz basses (at least to my ears).

Two slight dislikes: neck gets a little sticky (nitro paint) and for a Jazz bass I would have liked a slimmer neck. Compared to some of my others, this neck is a little beefier. Beefier in a good way, like a thin Precision neck sometimes feels.

All in all top notch build and sound quality! Not always found in some of Fender's products.

11. I love my '62 AV reissue Jazz, one of the nicest Jazz basses I've played. Congrats on yours!

12. I like the stacked knobs, adds another tone option for each pickup separately.

13. I might be mistaken but I believe each tone works as a master tone anyways. At least that's how my stacked knob jazz seems to work.

14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    for a real treat throw a set of Custom Shop pups and some La Bellas on her! :)

15. What pacojas says (about the LB strings).

Congrats on the bass. Good thing is that now that Fender introduced the '64RI, the AVRI62 are liquidated, and sell for ridiculous low prices for that quality.

16. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    I've strongly considered one of the AVRI62's for a while now. Was hoping to find one I could try first, but it appears that's just not gonna happen.

Any advice on where I should begin my search for one to buy?
    Also....you say "ridiculous low prices".
    About how much should I be looking to spend?

New?
    Used in great/mint cond?
    Used in just good cond?

17. Problem is that I live in Europe (they have different pricings here), and here they still can be found. They used to go for 2100€ new, now you can get them for 1300€. There are plentiful for sale here on the TB classifieds, often new, or "as new".

18. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    I picked up mine for $900.00. Smoking deal, I feel, and I have seen them at that price since(private sales, IE: TB classified). That would be the rock bottom low end. I would say $1,000-1,200 would still be fair for a well built Fender instrument.

19. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, as someone mentioned, on these basses the tone knobs work more like masters, as they are not isolated. The oridinal 1960-62 Jazz basses had an additional cap in the circuit that isolated the tone control, but also got rid of some of the high end, and so it was left out of the reissue. You can find a wiring schematic of the original harness, and it's easy to wire in. I wired mine to stereo output to totally isolate the controls, and THAT gives a lot of options, especially with the different pickups in it (I'm honestly not a big fan of the Jazz sound, though I think the stock pickups are great for it.)

Anyways, congrats on the bass!

20. Well mine are isolated and my '62 AV is bone stock as far as I know, bought it new in 2008. I assumed they all came like that. Weird.