1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Vintage G&L L2000 Series E, Lake Placid Blue-ish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jack Read, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Jack Read

Jack Read Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Bolton, Massachusetts
    I picked this up in a trade with a fellow TBer. The G&L family sure is growing 'round here!

It's a 1981 L2000 Series E. It's a high quality refin. The color is pretty close to Lake Placid Blue, just a touch darker. I'd say it's somewhere between LPB and G&L's Midnight Blue Metallic, but definitely closer to LPB. At any rate it's beautiful in person. The neck is nicely yellowed after 36 years of low end bolsterhood, and it has some nice checking in the finish on the front of the headstock and the back of the neck.

It arrived Friday afternoon. A quick setup, and I was off to a gig with my new-to-me bass in hand. I brought along an '83 SB-2 as my backup/drop-tune bass, but, man, it was hard to put this one down.

Today I adjusted everything to my exact liking, with new strings, a fresh tweak of the truss rod, saddle height, intonation, pickup height, and pole pieces. It plays like half melted butter and sounds like thunder.

Of course, I adjusted the slotted poles so that they all face the same way. The bass sounds MUCH clearer with the slots in a horizontal orientation. :thumbsup: (No it doesn't. It sounds exactly the same regardless of slot orientation.)

I put it next to my '82 L2000 E and, unsurprisingly, they sound pretty darn similar. Pics!
    GLblue1. GLblue2. GLblue3.

2. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Weren't you talking about downsizing not too long ago? :D

Congrats, looks like a pretty nice refin.

ShirazBop and Jack Read like this.
  3. Jack Read

Dec 5, 2002
    Bolton, Massachusetts
    Hahahaha! Yes, I really am downsizing. This was a trade, so it's wash. I have basses that need new homes...

TDR1138 likes this.
  4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Such a great color, Congrats!

Jack Read likes this.
  5. Jack Read

Dec 5, 2002
    Bolton, Massachusetts
    I just noticed that the pictures came out really awful for some reason! I'll try and take a better one and add it here.

6. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nice score! Even the knobs look really clean! Early Tookays are addictive....

Jack Read likes this.
  7. Jack Read

Dec 5, 2002
    Bolton, Massachusetts
    I think this pic might be a little bit better... The finish looked wonky in the first set of photos; it's actually flawless and smooth as glass in person.
    GLblue4.

Glazenn and tubatodd like this.
  8. Jack Read

Dec 5, 2002
    Bolton, Massachusetts
    Yes. They are. So are the early SB-2s. I'm avoiding an L1000. I've convinced myself that the L2K covers that ground well enough... Right? Right??? ;) But then, El Toro...

Since this bass is not all original (just the refin, I mean- everything else is original) I feel good about doing the K switch mod to it for added versatility. My other L2Ke is bone stock, so now I can leave it that way. I may also add a switch (maybe a push-pull pot on the volume) to disarm the OMG caps and allow that switch position to be true series mode. I might add a resistor to balance the volume a little bit better between parallel and series/OMG modes. :bassist:

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That's sexy.

Jack Read likes this.
  10. RobBottom69

RobBottom69 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    That is a sweet G&L! I love my M-2000, but would to add an L-2000 to the stable.

Jack Read likes this.
  11. Jack Read

Dec 5, 2002
    Bolton, Massachusetts
    I bought a new-ish L2000 years ago but never bonded with it, so I sold it. Then a few years back I picked up my first "vintage" G&L, the '82 L2000 Series E in my avatar, and holy cow. It sounds soooo good! Since I've started gigging with that bass I've gotten more compliments on my tone than ever before. And the "new" blue one sounds every bit as good.

I haven't tried a late model G&L in a long time, so I have no idea how they compare with the old ones.

12. Jack Read

Dec 5, 2002
    Bolton, Massachusetts
    BTW, after disassembling this bass it appears that the original color may have been sort of an emerald green. Anyone ever seen a a very early G&L in that color?

13. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

No, but never say never with Leo Fender. Trans-green was available then, though. Is the old paint metallic? If not. I'd expect that it was originally trans-green.

Looks nice. Ebony or rosewood?

Jack Read likes this.
  14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That's absolutely beautiful and the hardware looks brand new congrats.

Jack Read likes this.
  15. Nice bass indeed ... enjoy the thunder :thumbsup:

Jack Read likes this.
  16. Jack Read

Dec 5, 2002
    Bolton, Massachusetts
    Definitely rosewood.

After searching through google images for "1981 G&L green" I found that the original paint looks like a perfect match for transparent green, based on a pic of an early L1000 that I found.

17. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Nice bass! I have an 82 L2KE that is just awesome. Nice score!

Jack Read likes this.
  18. Jack Read

Dec 5, 2002
    Bolton, Massachusetts
    Thanks! My '82 L2KE is also awesome! These are my two favorite basses these days.

TinIndian likes this.
  19. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Curious about the board....did you determine that it's rosewood by the coloring, or by the grain pattern of the wood?

Jack Read likes this.
  20. Jack Read

Dec 5, 2002
    Bolton, Massachusetts
    Yes- both. It has the somewhat open grain you'd expect from rosewood, not the densely spaced, small pores of ebony. I've had some beautifully light reddish-colored ebony pass through my hands in the past, which people often mistook for rosewood. This fretboard, on the otherhand, has the grain structure (and color) of rosewood.