1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Wilkins Custom P/J 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MasterMonkeyMan, Jul 31, 2014.

1. MasterMonkeyMan

MasterMonkeyMan Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Just picked this up brand spanking new. Incredible blowout price. Looks real sweet. Bandmates are away for 2 weeks so won't know what is really does but at home it sounds sweet, plays nice.
    The store did not have the specs. I am awaiting a reply on that from Pat Wilkins.
    I swore I was done buying basses till I saw this. They said "Make an offer". So I made a ridiculous offer. Guess it was my lucky day!

FullSM.jpg HeadSm.jpg

2. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    cool man - could you post a close-up of where the J pu meets the guard?

3. MasterMonkeyMan

Oct 31, 2009
    I can - in case you were seeing something odd there, the guard plastic is still on so it looks funky.

4. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    The jazz pup seems much closer to the neck than typical 60's spacing. Is that a special order?

Flad likes this.
  5. MasterMonkeyMan

Oct 31, 2009
    Might be but I didn't order it. The PUP's are close together for sure.

6. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    ah yes… and how does it sound? I like that it deviates from the established norm of P/J spacing.

puff father likes this.
  7. That is killer! I'd love to hear what that J pup placement sounds like.

8. MasterMonkeyMan

Oct 31, 2009
    Yes, it is a bit of a different animal. It has a pickup toggle switch - neck, both and bridge. I suspect that is quite a deviation as well. I just got it today so haven't fully experimented yet. It has a real sweet P sound and with the both pups on it gets nice and growly. The bridge only is tight, full and growly, not thin at all. So far so good.

9. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Likey!

Nice score!

10. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I'm a fan of atypical pickup placements. I'd love to hear how that sounds !

PawleeP likes this.
  11. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    How are you liking your Pat Wilkins?
    I really dig the Jazz pickup placement. No duplication of sound between the PJ and Jazz basses. The J pickup is thicker sounding than in the traditional positions. I've always been a JJ guy so I've been playing the Wilkins non-stop since I got it, trying to accustom my ear to the P sound. And the 1.75" at the nut is way different than the 1.5" nut on the Jazz.
    Mine has an annoying rattle on the D string starting at abou a G, 5th fret. Like the action is too low if I dig in. Maybe just the strings I put on.
    Overall, it's a killer. "It will kill." Forged in Fire reference.

Dave Hill likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021