1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCD: completing the rig that sparked my interest in performing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Riff Ranger, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I’ve posted a lot about old Peaveys, but now that I finally have this rig right where I want it, let’s hear why I go on and on about them one more time:

164204F9-3163-4A16-A06A-68861FCE5843.jpeg
    (After a few missteps with cabs, I think I have finally found just the one here, though I would happily add another just like it.)

When I think of what first inspired me to make music, I think of the pointy Peavey logo. When I was in kindergarten and my dad was still alive, he took me out to a rock show and I thought it was the coolest thing. I started doing somersaults on the dance floor, and dancers made room for me. I remember the lights, and that logo, and blue knobs, and the singer having everybody clap for my dancing. My dad must have put in a word. I remember telling, and illustrating, this story in my kindergarten class. In high school, I finally got a Mark III head, pointy logo and blue knobs and everything, and while I liked it well enough for a time I didn’t realize then how good I had it and traded it away for who knows what. Happily, more than 20 years down the line, I have recaptured a bit of that magic by acquiring some gear with that pulchritudinous pointy Peavey logo and that sound I finally appreciate properly.

Wasnex, kesslari, EdBo and 8 others like this.
  2. Glad you found your perfect rig. And it’s very cool that it’s also your childhood dream. Not many people get to achieve that. I was performing professionally before I became a bassist. As a bassist, the rig that made me say, “I want to sound like that”, was this: 2DB63377-E591-43F9-A68F-2D3E5361195F.jpeg

Rich67, EdBo, Heavy Blue and 2 others like this.
  3. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    As my Norwegian-American people say, uff da! That Marshall rig’s a far loftier quest, but a worthy one. Fortunately, my tastes are inexpensive and ubiquitous :D

Rich67 and Guild B301 like this.
  4. EdBo

EdBo Supporting Member

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    I still have and love my Peavey gear. It's served me well for many years.
    20210123_145559.jpg

However, I recently acquired my Dream Rig. 12 pounds and 1,000 watts RMS @ 4 ohms. Drives an 810 or two 4x10 cabinets perfectly. I can dial up any tone imaginable. I never thought I'd ever own the Tech 21 NYC dUg Pinnick Ultra Bass 1000. I really feel Blessed that this one showed up on ebay and I was able to quickly snatch it up using my PayPal Credit.
    20201229_012340.jpg
    20201226_072427.jpg

Riff Ranger likes this.
  5. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Holy 80s, Batman!

Definitely not what I would go for, but I do have somewhat fond memories from highschool of my friend's Basic 60 (his 2nd bass amp after a Fender Frontman 15, he got the Peavey along with a Carvin LB20 fretless as a HUGE upgrade to the Frontman and a crappy Memphis P copy, then a while later upgraded the Peavey to a Bassman 10). I mostly played guitar at the time, but would fool around on bass too. Anyway, the Basic 60 actually sounded kind of good with guitar (at least for what I could compare it to at 15 or so). The speaker had a certain crunchiness to it with distorted guitar.

Riff Ranger likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021