NCD - GK Featherweight

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by landry.bass, Oct 13, 2021 at 7:26 PM.

1. Just picked up a CX210 cab today!

I've been debating which lightweight 210 to buy for literally years at this point, and finally decided to order a CX210 at Long & McQuade.

PXL_20211014_001520957.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20211014_001410794.jpg

No sooner had I made the decision than one showed up used at the L&M just down the street. Gave it a good testing in the shop, pushing the lows hard because I couldn't turn up too loud. Held up, no farting that I could detect.

I'm going to give it a good workout at home and jamming out in the next 30 days to decide if I'm keeping it for sure, but early indications are good!

I'm also renting a Traynor TC210 atm, so this timing is actually great. I plan on A/Bing them extensively. The Traynor is way heavier, but certainly also much more rugged. Really eager to see how they stack up sound and volume-wise.

2. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Semi related, I could have sworn I had read the TC210 uses Eminence speakers but can't find it anywhere anymore.

Either way looking forward to your comparison.

landry.bass likes this.
  3. So first notes after an hour of comparison today at low/moderate volume: both cabs sound great, but there are some differences.

I've tried them both with Streamliner 900 and with a Line 6 HX Stomp. I used the Stomp for amp modeling, eq, and some patches that are all about effects and distortion.

The GK definitely has what I think could be described as more old school character. That is, it has a slightly huskier, dampened sound relative to the Traynor. It's still, however, very articulate even with the horn turned off. This cab has serious baked-in mojo, and so far I prefer it for rock and metal tones. The Mesa 400+ model on the Stomp sounds especially badass through this cab.

The Traynor has a big sound. It's not afraid of lows, but has what I think could be described as a clearer, or perhaps more transparent tone. I prefer this cab for heavily distorted tones and/or patches with alot of effects. There's a desirable clarity to the distortion that I can't seem to get from the GK.

All this is just at moderate volume with a small amount of experimentation so far though. I'll be A/Bing them some more at higher volumes in the coming weeks. I'll report back as I discover more.

eriky4003 and Solude like this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021