Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck/body alignment query...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dirtbird, May 19, 2005.

1. dirtbird

dirtbird

Mar 24, 2005
    London, UK
    hello everyone, this is my first post here on TB, so here goes...

i've seen a few threads on this topic, but nothing about this:
    if I can't realign the neck by other methods, i will have to fill
    in the existing mounting holes in the bass body and re-drill them.

How do I know where to position the new holes?

It's a bit more tricky than that :) The neck I want to mount is a Moses Graphite
    neck, which has already previously been mounted on another bass, so is already drilled
    with the brass threaded inserts.

If I fill in the existing holes in the body, and got the neck into alignment, I need a way to accurately determine the position of new neck mounting holes so that they match the existing mounting holes in the neck.

Any suggestions gratefully received!
    thanks
    DB

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You might consider asking this question on the "Luthier's Corner" here on TB or get a Moderator to move it for you. I would think you'd get better answers there.

3. Here's how to do it...It's going to require making a set of small sharply pointed studs that will be used as markers for the new holes. The studs should screw into the inserts in the Moses neck and just barely poke out from the surface of the heel. Then you would align the neck with the body/bridge and press the neck into the neck pocket to make the points of the studs dimple the pocket floor. That's where you drill your new holes!

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Hambone;

That's just way too easy.

5. dirtbird

dirtbird

Mar 24, 2005
    London, UK
    sorted! i will give it a go and let you know how I get on...

thanks
    DB