1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck crack advice

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by BASSnSAX, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Hey everyone,

I've got the same old problem, a cracked neck. I just bought this bass - which was my first bass - back in December. It was cheap, $900 (primarily paid for with money from scholarships), and its a carved Asian or Romanian bass (my luthier wasn't sure). It's between 10-15 years old, and the top is in great shape, no sagging F-Holes. The back had cracked, probably due to some ill-dried wood, but was repaired and is solid. The neck had cracked once before on the heel, parallel with the top, but was glued and it looked like a hole was drilled in through the fingerboard with an ebony cap put over the top of it. I just had the bridge straightened out, adjusters installed, a new endpin installed, and the fingerboard planed, running me $450. I picked it up this past Saturday (300 mile trip in an ailing van) and used it in combo rehearsal Monday night on campus. As I was leaving the big rehearsal room, the door just ever so slightly tapped the scroll and the crack that was previously there opened up again, sending the strings inches off the fingerboard. I freaked out of course, and loosened the strings. I got a hold of my luthier midweek, and he said he could repair the current neck for $450 or install a new one for $900 - $1k.

Granted, the bass is a cheap bass, but the sound is better than the $3200 school bass I use for jazz and nearly better than the $6500 school bass I use for Orchestra (lacking slightly in the arco department). It's got a ton of volume and it's very comfortable.

I'm finishing up my undergraduate degree this semester. Ideally, I'd like this bass to be ready for Grad school auditions in a year or two.

What do you think I should do?

Attached Files: