1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck Mounting Ferrules, where else to get them other than Luthier shops?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rwkeating, Nov 13, 2017.

1. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Where else can you get ferrules (style as shown in link below?) Are they used for anything else? I've been looking on line and locally at hardware/parts stores and can't find anything like those. My concern (as usual with small parts) is that buying them on line means paying an outrages amount for shipping (if you don't order anything else.)

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...and_Neck_Ferrules/Neck_Mounting_Ferrules.html

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Curious to find out what others know as well. I use stewmac cuz it's one area they are relatively matket appropriate... :)

3. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    I am in the US. Looking on ebay shows a bunch at good prices from China. I have no problem with ordering from there except for the incredibly long delivery time.

I've never ordered from Ali Express so I don't know if their delivery is any faster.

4. rudy4444

rudy4444

Mar 13, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Some might consider it sacrilege, but you can pick up individual stainless finish washers at any good hardware store. They will work just fine for neck screw pockets. You can switch to a large pan head phillips and just use a standard flat in the screw pocket. This ain't rocket science.

Here's an example:
    The Hillman Group #12 Stainless-Steel Washer (25-Pack)-2908 - The Home Depot

Beej likes this.
  5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I've done this more than a handful of times, but I also do like the look and feel of the "real thing" as they tend to be a little better appearance...

6. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Those are the ones (from the hardware store) that I've used in the past. Since they aren't solid, they don't really spread out the load of the screw head (and they don't look as good.) I also lose points because I didn't countersink mine :(

7. I've been super happy with 90% of what I've got from China through ebay. Yes, it will take a few weeks (maybe a month) to get to you. But honestly, how often do we buy parts only to have them sit on the shelf for months ...or should that be years. ;)

rwkeating likes this.
  8. fenderfour

fenderfour

Sep 3, 2015
    Seattle, WA

Aliexpress is just a directory of Chinese manufacturers. I've had pretty good experience with delivery times. Not more than a month on E-Packet deliveries, which I think means "Padded envelope". The items I received from a big online luthier supply company took three weeks, so...

I think you will have to make a compromise at some point. it's that old "Strong, Light, Cheap; Pick two" conundrum.

9. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Thanks to @pudge for an early unexpected Christmas present. He is sending me some ferrules in the mail! What a fine community of folks we have here, whether helping people out with information or actual physical items. I hope I can do my part too. Thanks!

b3e likes this.
  10. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Nice of @pudge sending you a set. :thumbsup: I've always found them on eBay from US companies (Stew Mac and others) and will pay the minor up-cost to avoid purchasing from China.

ctmullins and rwkeating like this.