1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

neck mounting ferrules

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by erikbojerik, Mar 17, 2008.

1. So...the StewMac ferrules for holding the heads of wood screws for bolt-on necks seem hideously overpriced. Anyone have a less-expensive source?

What about ferrules for the heads of machine screws, for those of you who use threaded inserts in your necks?

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
  3. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    I've always been using them.
    for threaded screws or for those wood-screws too.. (sorry, I don't know the real names of the screws, here we name them "plate-screw" or similar.. so they are not the yellowish "wood-screws" if this makes sense to you..:ninja:)

4. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
  5. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    They are a type of bushing, but I'm not able to locate anything like it on Google except what I find being sold by instrument parts suppliers... I was hoping that someplace like a fasteners supplier would have them

6. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
  7. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Greenman - I had already done a google search, and of the washers that look like the style Stew-mac has, most are actually nylon... there were plenty of steel ones, but the outside diameter was much larger (Grainger has them, for example, but they have 13/16" OD instead of 5/8" OD...). The few places I found that have metal ones appear to cater mostly to RC car enthusiasts, and the washers are smaller metric sizes... also, most of those are anodized aluminum. That might not be critical, as aluminum may be strong enough, but they were still not that cheap.

The direct link you gave does indeed have the right size washers, but they appear to be pretty spendy, looks like the prices start at $1.52 each piece...

8. Well....THERE'S my problem. I thought StewMac had them for $6-$10 EACH.

Duhard.

Thank's guys, you rock!

9. I was just going to say your math was bogus:

SM: 10.31/12 = 0.86
    WM: 14.4/12 = 1.20

SM wins!

what the heck is that thing in your image there?

10. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Smiley guy on crack? :D
    Duhard.

11. 5:00 AM self portrait.

12. guitarpartscent

guitarpartscent

Aug 8, 2006
    Not to 'be that guy' and resurrect a way-dead thread, but we did just lower the prices on our neck joint bushings, partially in response to this thread. Cheers!

13. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    LMAO. The bolt on crowd will be jubilant, and may even give you a pass on zombiing a dead thread.

14. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Give him a break it's his first post..............in 4 years!! :D