1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck Pocket

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basso54, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    Hi guys, I'm in need of some guidance. I've got a Jazz body I'm working on as my first refinish. I plan on using a standard fender neck in this bass. The problem I've run into is that the neck pocket is 7/8" deep and standard Fender is 5/8". I'm trying to figure out the best wood to fill the pocket with. My dad is telling me just go with some plywood. The bass was sold to me as an Ash body, but after stripping the finish it is clearly not all Ash. Looks like Ply with an Ash veneer. I'm also going to be doing my first repaint on this so I want to try and do this as quality as I can. Thanks for all the help.

Billy

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    anything but plywood

3. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    If you had access to really nice plywood, maybe, but I'd go with some of whatever Home Depot sells as hardwood. My local store had poplar (I think) in 1/4 inch, it's easy to work, cheap, and of uniform density.

Check the rest of the neck pocket dimensions before you spend much time, though.

4. Definitely not plywood!

I'm no luthier, but it seems like you would want something that would provide an excellent transfer of energy from neck to body, and also be resistant to compression. Anything hard and resonant should work fine.

5. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    That was my thinking on the plywood, I told Pop he was nuts. I'm making a trip into Amarillo tomorrow, so I'll check there.