Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck Radius Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by timidbassist, Jun 26, 2005.

1. I have a couple questions about the neck on the Warwick Stage 1 5 string Streamers. First of all how do you describe the radius of that neck, if I;m not mistaken it is completely flat on the back side. If that is so there is no radius because its not a full curve. Beyond that, are there any other basses out there that have that type of neck? I absolutely love that neck, for some reason my left thumb feels very comfortable on the back of that neck and would like it on other basses....such as a J or anything. If anyone knows anything about it, I'd like to hear.
    Thanks much and cheers,
    Dave

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Radius is used to describe fretboard curvature, and *profile* is used to describe the curvature of the back of the neck. The Warwick Streamer Stage I 5 has a "U" shape profile, and as you noted, it's a flattened "U". I also found it very comfortable despite the thickness. I'm not aware of any other basses that have such a profile... I'm sure they exist, I'm just not aware of them!

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    So would you say that the Streamer Stage 1 (with its flame maple neck) has a different neck profile than the ovangkol necks used in the newer Warwicks these days? Is it flatter/slimmer than the ovangkol and closer to the older wenge neck profile?

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The ovangkol-necked Warwicks I've played have been very chunky. They didn't seem to be as flattenened, but the only "wide neck" Warwick I've played is the Streamer Stage I 5. The other Warwicks I've played were either four-stringers or narrow fives.

Consider this a bump for those who know Warwick basses better than I!

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Either way, 'tis nice to know that the Streamer Stage 1's maple neck has a different profiling than the ovangkol necks on Warwick's other basses.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The old school Sadowsky 24 fret 5 had really flat necks, i really love those necks. :hyper: :bassist: