1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck Through bass wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jadamita, Jan 20, 2015.

1. jadamita

jadamita

Aug 14, 2013
    I have everything planned out and all the parts i need to get started, but to start, i want to get my wood.

To include the headstock and to be thick enough for the body (it's a 6 string bass), i want it to be 1 3/4" x 4" 48". But everywhere i look online, only sells neck blanks that are 30" max. Where can i buy my wood for the neck? Also, do you guys have any ideas where to get thin laminates to put in my neck? I'm doing a 9 pc neck. It's Wedge-Maple-Wedge-Maple-Purpleheart-Maple-Wedge-Maple-Wedge.

[​IMG]

2. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    Oh, auto correct. :)

You're probably going to want to find a local lumber yard for longer boards. You might want to call ahead and ask if they have the specific woods you're looking for. I'm sure they'll have maple, but they may or may not have wenge and purpleheart.

scourgeofgod likes this.
  3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I'd suggest sourcing your neck wood locally. You'll have a hard time finding the specific woods in the specific sizes your looking for from an online supplier. There may be an online wood dealer that will provide custom cut laminates for your neck blank, but they may prove to be an expensive option.

Depending on your available tools you can buy raw lumber from a local supplier (I have 2 within 15 min of my house that stock all of the woods you're planning to use). If you can machine them to size yourself you'll save a considerable amount of money. Some lumber suppliers will cut your wood to size, though many will not IME.

4. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
  5. jadamita

jadamita

Aug 14, 2013
    Thanks for the replies! Sadly, i'm located in New Port Richey, Fl. We don't have any nice lumber yards over here.

6. crowbarkarl

crowbarkarl

Jun 5, 2015
    Any luck on 48" boards? I've also had trouble finding that length online. I'm also located in FL. West Palm Beach.

7. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    Wow... Really?
    Whenever someone posts a ..." Where can I find this" question... It piques my interest & innate desire to be of help... So, I open a few more windows & do some searching.

But.... I didn't notice that this thread was like 5 months old!!!
    And this is probably 30 min. of my life wasted... Oh well.:(

Anyway... @jadamita ... If you are still looking for a wood source, you're right...your town sucks for hardwood availability.... looks to me like you're gonna have to drive to Tampa:
    Unless you want to spend a lot more for cut -to - order online & shipping etc.
    wp_ss_20150608_0001.png
    wp_ss_20150608_0002.png

And Crowbarkarl...
    Google is your friend.
    I'm done searching for the evening.
    Besides
    There's a few big cities close by you... No?

Get thee to a lumberyard!!;)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I got mine from Bell Forest, nice people and they had 48" lengths of rock maple, don't know about the exotics.

9. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    I checked that site...problem I saw was whenever I found a cool piece that they showed pictures of (hand picked) , the piece was no longer available :(

10. redboy1975

redboy1975

Apr 24, 2011
    Sorrento
    All I build are Neck Thru Basses with 48" neck blanks and I get all my wood off Ebay from Seller:Exoticwoods2000 . They've never let me down and every piece of wood is honestly represented.

11. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I am lost on e-bay anymore. I can't even find that seller.

12. kekani

kekani

May 13, 2015
    Kapolei
    Gilmer Wood.

I'm guessing you mean Wenge (not wedge). 48" pieces of that and Purpleheart show up quickly. The Maple will take some digging. Here's a bird's eye piece (reminds me of the one I cut for my bass)
    Insert title here

13. redboy1975

redboy1975

Apr 24, 2011
    Sorrento
    Yeah seller:exoticwoods2000 also has a Web page called exotic woods of the world . When you get on his page just go to Ebay auctions and you should be able to find what your looking for .

14. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Thanks yes I have bought a bit from him years back. New name same location.

15. jadamita

jadamita

Aug 14, 2013
    I completely forgot about this post! I bought my wood online, and slowly building my bass. I'm gonna check this place out next time I'm in tampa. Thanks man!

That's where i got mine, but i found you have to be quick, or else the wood in your cart can disappear quickly! Haha

I'm pretty experienced with buying on ebay, I'll have to check this out. Thanks man!

16. DonArmando

DonArmando

Jul 10, 2016
    My experience with this supplier is not very good. They are not interested to sell small quantities of wood. They have a minimum order amount of 100 Euros. In my case they didn't even responsed my email enquiries. I find the customer service of Espen to be very disapointing to say the least.

17. My experiences are from collective orders and we haven't had any difficulties with their customer service. I've been very happy with their products (I've ordered swamp ash, alder, maple, purple heart, padouk, several fingerboards of different species). I wouldn't have recommended the company otherwise.

18. DonArmando

DonArmando

Jul 10, 2016
    That is well possible for large orders. I'n my case it was an attempt to get wood for just one Instrument.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021