Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck-thru blank sources?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by joe thomas, Jun 1, 2005.

1. joe thomas

joe thomas

Jun 1, 2005
    Hi all,
    I'm just getting back into building guitars since the late 80's and was looking for sources of bass neck-thru blanks. It appears all my old sources have disappeared. :(

I'm looking for either pre cut blanks (angles, paddlehead)or semi finished blanks (fingerboard & truss installed, shaped neck, paddlehead). Anyone know of any sources these days?

thanks

2. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I only know of carvin who makes them
    Carvin

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You might ask them if they will do longer blanks.

Also Larry at Gallery Hardwoods has done glued-up blanks in the past. See his forum here at TB.

4. Pilot, I have never gotten THOSE people to even give me the courtesy of a reply email. I've emailed directly, I've emailed them through their system, and I've done 2 quote requests using their online forms. Nothing.

So as far as I'm concerned they don't exist. :spit:

5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Bummer. I was all excited for a second. :(

6. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    As was I, seeing as one of Chris Benevente's basses was on the buckeye burl page :(. I figured if it was good enough for Benevente, it's good enough for me.

7. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I came across these folks when browsing Project Gu*tar.
    http://www.soulmateguitars.com/
    I emailed the guy about possibly building a thru-neck for a 34" scale 4 string bass and he said he could, no problem.
    I don't know about his quality but haven't researched it enough.
    He only advertises gu*tar necks but I'm seriously going to look into a bass neck from Soul Mate for my next project (I just need to finish my first...)

I'm just glad I came across another source other than Carvin (no slam against them at all).

Jon

8. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    huh...anyone have any experience with this guy? Those neck through blanks are exactly the type of thing I have been looking for. His prices seem quite good.

9. joe thomas

joe thomas

Jun 1, 2005
    Wow times have changed. Spent the good part of the day searching for sources and didn't really find any except Neal Moser and Stew-Mac (who only had gu*tar neck blanks). Looks like everything from scratch these days :D. I just didn't want to have to buy a jointer for the fingerboard angle (hello Delta...).

Thanks to everyone who posted, if anyone does find a source for neck-thru paddlehead blanks please let me know. :meh:

10. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I could be totally wrong about this, but I had heard that... uhhh.. the lumberlady had... err... passed on.

Don't quote me on that. There's wood dust where some of my synapses should be.

11. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I believe she did. I remember a post a good while back about it.

12. Well, OK, that's too bad. :meh: My condolences to the family...

But how do you have some whopping big site with employees and stock and bills and all that and just stop commerce dead in it's tracks? Even estates carry on after the fact - to the point of settlement. I know, I know, these are rhetorical questions at best but someone's paying for the bandwidth of that site and has been for a long while. :confused:

13. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Actually it may be just that whoever is hosting the site just hasn't cleaned house. I have a family page I put up on my ISP when my first son was born (he's 7 now) that is still up, but I haven't used that ISP for nearly 5 or 6 years.

14. Mashedmeat

Mashedmeat

Apr 11, 2008
    hmmm, so looks like there's no place other than carvin to get blanks...? i'd rather have more than one option for this major purchase... you'd think that there must be SOMEONE that sells neck through blanks regularly.

if anyone knows the best way to build a neck from scratch let me know!

- loren

15. Wow.....3 year old thread.

FWIW Doug at Soulmate Guitars does first-class work. Since his neck blanks are custom items you'll wait longer than with Carvin, but the results are very nice indeed.