1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck with flat(ter) radius for Fender J-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pigpen1, Dec 11, 2017.

1. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Anyone know where to get one?

Had a bit of an epiphany recently after playing some warwick/lakland stuff that I just don't like the 9.5 radius on my jazz basses. Seems Warmoth goes only to 10 inch radius?

Was so amazing. I felt more comfortable after 3 minutes of playing these other basses than I have in all the time I've been playing fenders, where ever not just seems to be a struggle. I like the flatter necks and honestly how I could use the pickups as ramps on the other basses. Literally the difference between thinking and concentrating on a line and just letting in happen.

2. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Went shopping for a Fender Jazz bass, and after trying every one they had I left the store with a Lakland. The flatter/thinner neck was exactly what I was looking for. Warwick seemed flat but also thick which I wasn't a fan of but that sound is so awesome it was tempting.
    Good luck

3. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    Thanks yeah. I'm at the point of either selling some J basses and buying something, that for me at least, is easy to play, or dumping money into jazz basses that may never be what I want. Biggest sticking point is I typically buy MIA stuff, but most MIA is either-boutique priced stuff, or vintage oriented.

Still, anyone know of a flatter replacement neck?

4. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Never heard of one.
    But if you can't find one, or have one made, I think it'd be worth it to sell something to get a bass that suits you better.

I had the same , but opposite, realization about fret board radius - I can't deal with flatter ones.
    9.5 is just right for me. I had one with a 20" radius, and it was very uncomfortable for me.
    I've heard a lot of people here say it makes no difference to them. So YMMV.

5. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    Hey everyone is different. It's why there are a lot of choices.

It made no difference to me until I experienced something very different. Now every note on a j-bass seems like I have to concentrate, whereas on flatter neck I don't even have to think about it. I feel like I have to reach up and over for every note on my current basses. Makes the action seem high, especially higher up on the neck, and stiff too.

6. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

I have had so many basses come and go over the years that I sometimes forget about them. I used to be able to play almost anything with relative ease, but after scoring my 1982 Pedulla back in 1990 and playing it exclusively for a couple of years, my hands have become very accustomed to it. I found that my Fenders (a CIJ Standard and a CIJ Geddy Lee) and even my Ibanez SR became more physically demanding to play. I ended up selling them and just playing this one instrument. I think that I got really used to the combination of 12" fingerboard radius and a slightly narrow but roundish neck shape. My Ibby had a nice flat fretboard, but the back of the neck was so flat and thin that my hand became fatigued fairly quickly. My Fenders had enough meat on the necks to feel good in hand for hours, but something was just not right to me with the string placement. I think it was the 9.5" neck radius. I think that for me, I prefer to play basses with a Jazz style neck shape, but a very flat fingerboard. My brother who also plays bass, can play anything with four strings on it. We are all different. Use what works best for you.

7. Giorgetto

Giorgetto Fingers on 4 Flatwounds

Dec 29, 2008
    Near Tinseltown
    Artist Relationship: Wilkins-Ampeg-La Bella
    I'm actually quite comfortable with a 7.5" radius but then again I don't chord. Use whatever radius you are most comfortable with.