1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ned Steinberger Upright

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Bassoon, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Bassoon

Bassoon

Aug 1, 2003
    Germany
    Hi!

I tested the Ned Steinberger Bass at my local dealer.
    For me it sounded fantastic.
    Has anyone made good/bad experiences with this instrument, too? Unfortunately it's not cheap...

thx

bassoon

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I've been using one for the last 3 years or so and have really enjoyed using it - easy to transport- plug in and play - doesn't take up much room - unbreakable!! :)

If you like the sound - you can't go wrong!!

3. I tried one (a CR4) recently at The Bass Centre in London, and couldn't believe how easy it was to play compared to a more traditional EUB/AUB.
    I'd love to have one definitely but as you said, they're not cheap........

4. Bassoon

Bassoon

Aug 1, 2003
    Germany
    The handling is fantastic!

5. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    I'm waiting on an Ergo 4-string EUB right now. When it gets here, I'll try to remember to post my impressions of how it plays. It's certainly cheaper than the Steinberger -- $730USD delivered, with a stand. Here's a link: http://ergoinstruments.com/ .

~John

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Hmmm...looks a bit cheap and I clicked on one of the sound samples on the front page (Arco) and it was horrible - squeaky and poorly-intonated!! :meh:

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Maybe it's the Players technique(possibly with some cheap strings on it).I own a 4 and 5 string Ergo(with high C)and it sounds nothing like that.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Go and listen to it - they're thinking that will help them sell basses....:confused: ?

(It loads pretty quickly)

EDIT - it says :

"All samples were performed by Jesse Blue on an Ergo 6 string EUB. Samples were recorded at Shadowland Studios in Harrison, TN. EUB was run into a Mindprint DTC analog pre-amp with no eq, and a very small amount of compression. A small amount of reverb was added for depth."

To be clear I listend to the first one on the left on the home page "ARCO1"

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Sounds to me like it's more of the players technique than anything else(and I'm sure you know that the overall tone of an EUB is nothing at all like that of a True Acoustic upright Bass).Since I own a couple of Ergo's I would definately say it's the players technique and mabe not the best strings on that instrument and the recording environment isn't home to a lot of players with out the proper direction. and yes ARCO 1 was the one I listened to also.

10. atruedinguss

atruedinguss

Apr 23, 2005
    Jupiter
    I agree on that one. No offense to Jesse Blue, but the Ergo sounds like CRAP!!! I tried one and the pizz sound is the only good thing to come from the amp. Plus, I played it through an Ampeg combo, so it was a little punchy. Oh well.

11. werner vw

werner vw

Mar 26, 2004
    paris
    Do you have a good audio sample of the NS that we could compare. I try several sample on the artist site and found it was like a fretless.
    I found the sound of the ergo very good. Don't forget there was no equalization on the sample.

12. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    I tried an NS at GC. Like others at TB, I found the hybrid strings to be less than satisfactory, but some people, e.g. D.A.R.K., like them perhaps because they are so different from DB strings.

Coming from the upright bass, I found the NS disorienting, no heel and no bouts. With the straps, I found the instrument too close to the body to bow on the lower strings. I also found the curvature of the bridge less than I liked. In general, I don't like EUBs on tripods, but then again, I don't even like sitting with a DB. I felt less freedom to move the bass to suit my right arm when playing arco.

That being said, if you really like the NS pizz, the NS has some nice sounds that I haven't found on electric bass and it sure is nice to look at.

I have never tried an Ergo.

13. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I owned and played a 4 string Ergo for almost 2yrs, liked it sounded real good through my GK amp with no preamp.

Great intonation, ran Thomastic Spiral Cores (reds) on it which were way better than the ones shipped with them.

Just bought an Eminence as I tried on at a trade show and fell in love with it.

Played first gig last weekend and initial results indicate I made the right decision. Much more like a regular DB feel on the neck with a heel to find position quickly. Has tonal differences from NS design and Ergo design which when eq'd properly make it sound almost exactly like Acoustic Double Bass.

Absolutely no overtones which can be a problem at high volume with stick bass's,

You actually feel the vibrations of the bass through your hip when you have the rest installed and the audience was much more receptive of the looks of this bass than they were of the stick bass.

I'd rate my first gig experience as a 9 on a scale of 1 - 10 as I had two problems. One my amp acted up and crapped out, a GK jack problem I imagine (its in the shop now).

The other was I didn't get time from delivery to first gig to mess with it and set up the string height the same as my Acoustic DB.

I did that when I got home and now she feels just wonderful, strings were too low on the G & D side of the fret board for me and I struggled on some riff's but overall.......

WOW what a bass !!

14. atruedinguss

atruedinguss

Apr 23, 2005
    Jupiter
    I hear the Eminence is one of the best EUBs on the planet. It uses the David Gage Realist, and as a plus it actually has a resonating chamber so you don't have to plug it in to practice. That one would have my money. I hear great things about Azola's acoustic basses, too.

15. Bruce Lindfield

I swapped the strings for Pirastros - proper DB strings to make it sound a bit more like DB. :)

I think the NS basses are great for those coming from Bass Guitar - but not the other way - so for me it was a very useful transition and helped me think about playing "upright" and also about the different scale length.

I really liked it not having a body as it allowed me to get closer to the strings, like when playing BG and allwoing you to be more careful about intonation.

Having now got a proper DB I find the NS action too low and I miss being able to really get under the strings and pull like on my DB - but the NS is great for soloing - so much easier than a real DB!! ;)

Agreed on both - although I prefer my DB now - it is awkward and hard to play/transport , compared to the NS ...;)

I still think the NS sounds better than some DBs I've tried and it has a very nice solo voice - which is like a "modern" hybrid - sort of like the things that Eberhard Weber does ...?

16. atruedinguss

atruedinguss

Apr 23, 2005
    Jupiter
    Don't forget that Ned has the CRT series DBs that he designed to play more like a traditional acoustic. The action is higher so that it doesn't feel like playing a fretless bass guitar that's got a super freaking long scale length that decided in its mind that it wants to be an upright.

17. Bassoon

Bassoon

Aug 1, 2003
    Germany
    I have a question: Did NS produce different versions of the CR-series upright, because on some photos i can't find the pickup switcher.

18. The newer models have a Piezo Blend Control
    knob instead of the switch which adjusts the response
    for Pizzacato vs. Arco playing...

peace

19. bear

bear

Dec 14, 2004
    Having come from the DB background, and wanting to buy an NS, is the CRT that much different? It would be nice to have the magnetic pickups but NS touts the Traditional to be more for the DB player. Are the necks on the CR series ALL the same?

20. The diff between the The CR and CRT is basically in the set-up. The CRT has more neck relief, and action a bit higher so you can dig in. That being said...I have a CR4 which I love, I can also set my neck and bridge to play a little higher, and if you use REAL DB strings, it's great. I'm pretty sure the FB radius is the same. The main reason I chose the CR is that it comes with the tripod, the CRT is standard with the end-pin thingy. I wasn't too sure about that.

The mag p/us will sound like a Fender, plain and simple. If you're wanting to get a different sound, forget 'em.

gomez