1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need 3 Pedals on a VERY Limited Budget- HELP!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kjpollo, May 18, 2011.

1. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    OK guys, I'm looking for an envelope filter, octaver and distortion/overdrive and I have MAYBE $100-200 to cover everything. Obviously I'm going used.

What are my best options in this price range??
    I'm trying to copy the synth sound on the intro to Mr Crowley with the envelope filter and octaver and I just want a decent sounding distortion/overdrive to thicken things up when we dont have our second guitar player.
    The filter and octaver are the priorities-the distortion can wait a little while.

Thanks in advance!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    In this case, you don't need reccomendations, you need to scour your local CL or eBay looking for stuff you can afford. Used Boss, Digitech, whatever's available to you.

3. Sounds like a used Boss SYB-3 is likely, or a SYB-5, if you can find one used. It'll give you a nice envelope filter, and has the ability to do distortion, and some octave effects, albeit not to my taste. YMMV, but it's a likely start, until you can acquire more.

4. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd hit up eBay for a Boss OC-2 and a DOD FX25. That'll probably total about $125-150. The dirt should run cheaper and you may be OK with a Boss ODB-3, which isn't great but will work in a pinch.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm selling a Digitech BNX3 for $125... Let me know if you're interested. It'll do all stuff no problemo...

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

The Digitech Bass Synth Wah will decently (IMO) cover the filter and octaver needs (50-60 $ on e-bay). Leaves enough $$$ for a decent overdrive.

7. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Yess! ^ Ths Synth Wah by Digitech does it all! Overdrive really depends on your playing style and bass.

8. +2 my first [cheap] pedal & still have / use it, great fun.

9. Havent tried the intro for mr crowley but i know my Boss SYB-3(60 bucks) and my Boss OC-2 (50 bucks) sounds EXACTLY like the synth sound in Rihanna's song S&M. That would leve ya 90 bucks and if you can add a little extra, the MXR M82 bass envelope filter sounds awesome at the end of this chain. No distortion required.

10. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
  11. These are dirt cheap...

B1 / B1X

...and you get 2 octaves of whammy. if you don't mind a bit of noise in your signal chain.

12. I own a syb and it kinda sucks for organic synthy tones. It seems more for top 40 cover bands where you have to ape a madonna bass line or something. I like running a d0d flanger cranked to extreme settings to get the moogish detuned oscs sound and an eh doctor q for the filter.
    for a closer tone you would want a rel moogerfooger lowpass. all those other autofilter pedals are two fast and choppy. More for funk imo.
    now for the synth strings....

13. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

Apr 3, 2009
    TN
    This.

You're more likely to find some really good deals locally. Just so some quick research on here and google.

14. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I would look for the following three pedals:
    MXR Envelope Filter M-82
    MXR M-288 Octave Deluxe
    Digitech Badder Monkey

15. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    That'd be out the price range halfway into the BOD. :meh:

16. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island

+1 to this. I have the B1 and it cost me like 50 bucks new. I would go for the B1X or even the B2X with the built in pedal. I use this all the time at church.. and yes I do use the effects you are looking for... love doing it and watching the old peoples eyes bug out...lol

17. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Easy. (I had lots of experience with cheep pedals before I started getting addicted to boutique)
    in order:
    1. Behringer ultra octave (or whatever it's called...it works Great, tracks decently or better than a Boss)
    2. EH Bass Blogger. Very interesting overdrive, perfect for driving the envelope or giving the octave a growl. Not the best on the distortion side, but with octave into it or envelope after it, maybe it's ok. (btw, Blogger's overdrive into a MXR/Dunlop Bass Blowtorch w/ full mids is a great non-envelope buzzing synth sound)
    3. Ibanez Bass Synth (one of them silver ones with knobs that recess) Excellent envelope with addable crunch via onbord distortion (although you miught have to adjust your amp if there's too much low-mids)

Used, the above might be about 125.00 or less. These 3 don't blow through batteries either (like Digitech)...the EH works best w/ batteries.

18. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I KNEW I'd get a boat load of help here. I think the people in this part of the forum are some of the most helpful people on this board.

Now I just have to start boiling the suggestions down. I kinda like the idea of a multi-effects unit to keep the clutter to a minimum. Really, this is mainly for Mr Crowley-most everything we do is straight-ahead rock where there isnt much need for effects on the bass. Its not like we do Muse or Tool tunes.

But I'm thinking a little color on a couple of the songs would be pretty cool. Some envelope filter on Lenny Kravitz' Always On The Run could be a hit! And maybe distortion on Love Removal Machine and Jealous Again.

Thanks again guys, and if there are any other suggestions, please pass them along!

19. CaptainSir

CaptainSir

May 12, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    im really not the person that normally would suggest this but for the money your looking to spend and what you are looking to get i would look into getting a used Line 6 Bass Pod Xt Live

20. A friend of mine has that one and he can't find an octave patch oddly enough!