1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need 3 point bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nevjim_3, Jul 5, 2012.

1. nevjim_3

nevjim_3

Jun 30, 2012
    I have a 70's Gibson Thunderbird Bass and I am missing 3 saddles. I need either a complete bridge or just the saddles. Any ideas?

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
  3. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie The winged monkeys showed up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    HELL
    +1 on the Hipshot Supertone. I put one on a Allen Woody, very nice!

4. Hi.

I haven't used one yet, but based on the reviews, another + for the Hipshot Supertone.

Regards
    Sam

5. 66Atlas

66Atlas

May 19, 2012
    Am I the only purist? a 70s thunderbird deserves a gibson 3 point bridge. At least it's not the "bar bridge" like my 60s EB3!

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Agreed - if it were me, I'd try to keep a bass that old as original as possible... Granted , the 3 point isnt the best bridge ever, but it can be set up to work reasonably well... I have a Supertone bridge on my '06 Gibby T-bird, FWIW - and I'd still recommend that the OP get the appropriate saddles and rock on with the 3 point...

- georgestrings

7. nevjim_3

nevjim_3

Jun 30, 2012
    I was hoping to find an original bridge or saddles. I tried the saddles from all parts and they are not the same size. They are smaller. I have 1 original saddle with the bridge to compare.

8. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    I have an original in black in the classifieds

9. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I have a current Gibson 3pt bridge in chrome in ok condition spare, the body screws are a bit ugly but it's all there.

Only catch.. I'm in Australia!

10. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I had a similar problem when restoring one of my '76s, it had an Allparts 3 Point on it, while at first glance it appears much the same as a Gibson it is in fact, quite different in all dimensions and will not sit as low on the mounting posts as a Gibson. Further, the Allparts saddles were very prone to burrs and a steeper break angle both of which caused strings to break very quickly. A real Gibson 3 point solved the problem right away and gave better action as well. I went thru a Gibson qualified repair shop (Mike Lull) and made sure that they explained that it was for a restoration, it took a little effort but was well worth the trouble........
    I'm sure the Hipshot is nice but I'd never put one on a Thunderbird, appearance alone would be deterrant enough - let alone that it almost hangs over the center block, and the "sustain" arguement isn't going to work with me either, it's never been a problem with any T Bird I've owned of any vintage. I'll take a properly set up 3 point every time :)

bridge4.

11. So, what is the deal with the Supertone bridge? :meh:
    I mean, I have an Epip EB-3 with the stock 3 point bridge and I fine it has a good amount of sustain. Am I missing something by not going with the Supertone, like more sustain :)

I am hip to 'em, the Supertone, just never used one.

How do you kids fine 'em better or different :confused: