1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a good, decent practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shababy32, Nov 24, 2018.

1. shababy32

shababy32

May 2, 2015
    Okay. I admit it. I am no longer a Spring Chicken! Hauling a SVT and a cab from practice, to gigs, back to my house has just about broken my back. So now I need to get a small practice amp. I will just use it at home. I've tried the Rumble with the 8 inch speaker, as well as the Acoustic. Any suggestions on something in that category that doesn't cost over 200 dollars? My back thanks you!

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Ampeg BA series.
    BA-108v2, 8” 20 watts great value for a small combo $99
    BA-110, 10” 40 watts $149

I have a BA-108 and BA-210, both do their respective jobs quite well, the 210 is my regular gig go to while the 108 does a yeomans job at small shows, rehearsals and practice at home. Highly recommended. Haven’t tried the 110 so Ymmv

3. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    A tad more than you want to spend, but I have and like this:

Surprisingly decent (if relatively low volume, but hey, it's a practice amp) sounding, despite the small speaker size. Beats are mechanical, but they're preferable to a beeping metronome. MP3 in, phones out, will run on included AC adapter or batteries, light weight, compact: all convenient features for a practice tool. Also useful for playing your electric bass with acoustic guitars "around the campfire".

I use mine daily.

4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    the hartke HD15 or HD25. i was shocked how much bass the HD15 with its little speaker puts out plus it's only $89.99 pretty much everywhere. my HD15 weighs 15 1/2 pounds.

if you like ampeg tone, the BA-108v2 and the BA-110 definitely deliver it. as i recall, the BA108 weighs in at over 20 pounds, not sure about the 110.

for around 16 1/2 pounds, you could wait for an in-store holiday sale and you could possibly snag the rumble 40 for under its usual $199.99. surprisingly light for its size, nice sound. very highly recommended on TB.

5. IMO 15 watts is fine for practicing. New just over $100, used in the $60 to $80 range. For this amount you might as well go new. I have a Peavy Rumble and have used it in a small church setting.

6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    a peavey rumble?

7. My bad it's a Fender...….and cost in the $90 range.

8. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I would recommend stretching your budget a bit for a Rumble 100. You can probably get a discount from the 300 that it’s listed at everywhere if you call up someone. It’s still very light and fairly portable, and it has enough volume to actually play with some people, of course dependent on how loud they play.

LBS-bass, ProfFrink and SwitchGear like this.
  9. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I just ordered an Ashdown AAA EVO60. I also considered the Fender Rumbles, I like them alot, but I went with the Ashdown to try something different. 199.00.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  10. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I had good luck with Ampeg's BA with a 12 and a Hartke 15" combo... both solid-state.

My current little combo is the TC Electronic BG250-112... and it's SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!

Aqualung60 likes this.
  11. Clipped

Clipped

Aug 9, 2014
    Jersey
    Just got a BA110. Do it.

12. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Big fan of the Hartke HD. Got rid of the Rumble 40 and picked up an HD 75.
    So much better tone IMO.

Couldn't be happier with the Hartke

dralionux, pcake and ProfFrink like this.
  13. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    The best is the most expensive best sounding amp you can afford.

You are only practicing most of the time. Why settle for anything less.

You can go the other way like I did when I bought the Vox Amphone and regret it. But I highly recommend you not to go that route if you are serious about practicing.

If you decide to go the serious route, you have two choices. Headphone amp or real amp. Headphone amp, I suggest you get something like the PJB bass buddy. That is the absolute minimum I would personally spend. Then get good headphones. Not some cheap junk. The difference between a cheap headphone amp with cheap cans and the opposite is immense. Cheap headphone amps in general will ruin your hearing since you need to crank it up to hear any subtle nuances, especially if you start mixing drum machines and tracks.

Real amp, you get what you pay for, so your budget will dictate your choice.

I sound like a snob. But trust me. I wasted so much money. I wish someone told me this. I feel stupid buying cheap, horrible gear and unless you are my mortal enemy, I would never recommend any cheap horrible practice amp.

14. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Roland micro cube bass rx - this one is a nice one !

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I own several SVT heads and cabs. I have never hauled them to and from rehearsal. I play bass, keys and guitar. For rehearsal, I currently use a Hartke KM200 with 115. It's technically a keyboard amp but had 4 inputs so it makes it easy for me to switch between instruments, especially since I also play an upright bass. You can pick them up used for around $200 to $300.

Low84 likes this.
  16. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    Warwick bc-10 or bc-20. They are very good on the budget side

macmanlou likes this.
  17. DinoRock

DinoRock

Mar 26, 2015
    New York State
    I've had back surgery as well as hips replaced etc. I also came to the realization years ago that if I left my gear out I would use it. All bass/guitar cases now empty and seem happy in dark basement. So...all of my bases are either hanging on the wall or on a stand around and about. Same w amps. I always seem to have something in my hands and am fiddling throughout the day.

1. Traynor SB 112 sits next to my spot on couch in family room. Picked up new about 2 years ago after long and exhaustive search for smallish combo. No one even sees it as behind end table. Great sound. Use when wife out of house.
    2. PJB double fours sits in my clothes closet in bedroom. Size is tiny, sound is not. Very impressed. Phenomenal sound for playing 30 mins at night before the wife comes up.
    3. Carvin Pro Bass Head and cab in studio. Sound I grew up with doing studio work (along with B15) so it's a personal thing.
    4. Traynor Bass Mate in guest room. Very old, fair, but not great sound. Sentimental.
    5. Sun 2x15 cabs and custom-made 2x12 cabs all sit in basement collecting dust along with many popular high-end heads from 1970s when I played out in large venues. Will be happy to never have to carry them again :)

18. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    My son has a Rumble 30, superb little amp. Maybe overpowered for a practice amp, it will do small club or church gigs with no problem as long as the drummer isn’t too loud. A Rumble 15 is probably perfect. +1 on the Roland bass cube, nice set of features for the money.