Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tomass, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    ok my last thread didnt go with a success so ill write up another one. Ok my amp has just about had, it sounds like a tv with no signal. It still works but for not much longer, I want to get a more powerful bass system. So no I dont want to get another crappy practice system. I think ill stay away from the Laney and Behringer systems. I havent had much experience with bass amps as my little 50 watt guitar+bass pratice amp was alright until i got in a band. Im looking at Hartke, Ashton, Peavy, Randall. Mainly because they are more affordable than mesa Boogie and Ampeg etc. What Combo or Amp+Cab would you suggest for around $1000-$1300 AUD, altough i could go up a maybe another hundred if it is more beneficial or better to.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What style do you play? What tone are you looking for? How loud does it need to be?

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    How big are the venues you plan on playing along w/ Plain ol me's questions. I know American amps are expensive over there, but what about Trace Elliot and Ashdown, they are British right? I'm not thrilled w/ your choices, but I'm an admitted gear snob. :)

4. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    hm im looking for low end punch and mid, playing heavy metal and black metal. i was also looking at the: Nemesis 320 Watt NC-410 4 x 10" Combo. What do you guys think of those, also with amps+cabs does it matter if you mis match brands. Like use brand X head with Brand Y Cab, just as long as the wattage is right and the ohms as well, right. if so what would be a good combination at a reasonble price.

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Now you're talking, I thought that would be out of your price range, they are made by Eden over here. Heard nothing but good about Eden Nemesis. I just orderd an NC210 for my backup amp. I'm anxious for it to get here. Those are loud for a 250 Watt 210 so that one should cut through fine at 320 Watts.
    You can do a search, they are well respected on this site.

6. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    What about the Ashdown Electric Blue series combos, there around my price range. I hear a lot of reference on this site about em.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I have heard reliability issues with those. You can mix n match if you want, no problem. How loud do you need to play? Do you gig or just practice or what?

8. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    Which amps have you heard about reliability issues with, I need to be able to play failry loudly for band prac as that is how i blow the other amp. Havent started playing gigs yet but when the time comes they have PA systems anyway.

9. the bassman 250 series are pretty nice. i a/bed them against hartke and liked them much better.

10. Hi Tomass - nice to hear another local.

I'd personally go for something like a 2nd hand Peavey head - they're just everywhere, and they're almost unbreakable!
    And a 2nd hand (but relatively new) quad in the range of 600w (400w is good, but more is better :cool: ).
    Peavey's have a nice bass sound. You should be able to pick up a decent head (400w or so at 4 ohms) for around 6-700AUD.
    2nd hand is the way to go - just be patient, and try the gear out, even if the seller is a little miffed you've been playing it longer than 5 minutes. It took me around 5 months to get my rig sorted out, just waiting for the right gear to appear 2nd hand, but i got what i want, at the price i wanted.
    The Peavey T-max, firebass and mark VII heads are all nice - but seriously, just try everything - and you may come across a real gem.
    Good Luck,
    smo

11. Just a quick note - don't rely on PA - sometimes venues don't have enough DI's and ask you to 'fly solo'. You'll need some decent power there.
    I'd opt for at least 250-350w at 8ohms - any less through an 8ohm cab, and you'll possibly get drowned out.

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I second the used Peavey idea. You can normally find a used one for really good price.

There is one on Ebay right now. Its a Peavey Mark VI in Brisbane, Queensland for pickup only. I don't know where you are in relation to it so it might be a bust.

13. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    OK sounds allright, i dont quite have the money yet. I live In Victoria and Melbourne is 3 hours away so i might keep an eye out in the tradingpost.