Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a new amp!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobdob20, Mar 17, 2006.

1. bobdob20

bobdob20

Mar 5, 2006
    I've been looking around of a new amp to replace my crappy small practice amp. I only about £300 to spend, which would be about $600 to you americans i think.
    I seen the Behringer Ultrabass BXL3000 which is 300w for £250 and was wonder if anyone has got one and wots it like. Other suggestion would be good, but im only looking of an all in one combo thing not cabinets and heads.
    Help would be much appreciated.

2. I bought the BXL3000 amp and overall it is quite good for the money. HOWEVER, driving this amp hard will blow it up. Case in point; After having the amp for two days, I decided to crank it up and test the limits. Having a active bass, I was playing on channel 1 and having the volume full up, my finger slipped off one of the strings and popped the speaker. I took it apart and saw that the fuses were not blown and the "protective circuitry" was working meaning I had power to the unit but put the meter on the speaker and it was blown. So after paying 70 bucks to ship it back for a new one, lesson learned. I would not play this amp hard but it was hitting hard at 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock on the volume knob. I would not go any more in fear of blowing it up again. I wonder if I was on channel 2 running the compressor would I have prevented the speaker from burning out? Hmmmm

If I blow the speaker up again, I am going to put in a higher rated speaker and have the fuses pop rather then the speaker. So right now with a total of $320 into the amp (price of amp and shipping back) I would give it a cautious buy to anyone who is in the market for a combo amp.

Steve.