1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a new Nut (Stingray 4)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CheopisIV, Jan 22, 2012.

1. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Commercial User

Aug 2, 2010
    Sigil Pickups
    I FINALLY got myself a Stingray (yay me!) and it's a fantastic bass, but we all know that :)

The previous owner had someone take a file to the nut though and he strung it with the bottom 4 strings of a 5-string set, so I have a LowB, E, A, D on it. I want to put her back to normal though and can't find a replacement nut online.

I figured someone here could point me in the right direction :)

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Have you tried it with an EADG set? There may be no problem.

There is no such thing as a, "direct, drop in replacement", nut. You will always have to deal with getting the individual nut slots right for your bass.

3. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Commercial User

Aug 2, 2010
    Sigil Pickups
    I have to get some strings, so was going to try to get the nut at the same time. I should try it first though.

As far as drop in, do any other bass' have similar dimensions that I could whittle/sand down to fit in the slot? I can do some Google work to track down the dimensions, but my Ravens are about to lay a whoopin' on the Pats (yeah right) so I'll try the lazy man method of asking first until after the game. :D