Need a new recording program

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Apr 9, 2005.

1. I accidentally deleted the LAME encoder that is essential to my Audacity recording program, and now I can't re-install the encoder to Audacity. So, I need a new program, any ideas?(it must be free).
  2. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    You don't need a new recording program, you need to fix your existing one...

Track down lame_enc.dll - it might still be on your machine (e.g. if you've got the latest version of WinAmp, it's in the plugins folder), or you might have to download it and install it - it's commonly available. Open Audacity, go to File|Preferences, click the "File Formats" tab, click the "Find Library" button. Find it, choose your bitrate, enjoy...
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Moved to Recording Gear & Equipment
  4. I don't understand this recording talk. What the hell is a bitrate? Why do they have to be complex? Why can't someone just simplify it? I deleted audacity anyhow, so it's GONE.
  5. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Ok. Since it's gone now, go ahead and reinstall it. It should be fine now.

Bitrate determines the sound quality. The higher the bitrate, the better the file will sound. Also, the higher the bitrate, the bigger the file will be.

Try reinstalling Audacity first, then come back if you have any other problems.

6. Hmm, anyopne got a link to get audacity from? I got sent it via MSN.
  7. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Search, young grasshopper. :)

8. Nah Audacity is garbage. It won't install Lame encoder, the lame encoder is zipped, it was never like this before. I just want one that doesn't need some crappy MP3 which has all this built in and doesn't require me to set it up, because I can't.
  9. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Dude, just because you are having a hard time setting something up or just because it's not packaged together and requires some work does not make something garbage.

Take a breath, then check out this next page.

If you have installed Audacity, uninstall it, reinstall, then follow the directions on that page for the encoder. It's not that hard, it just involves unzipping the encoder file into a subdirectory (I would recommend windows\system32 or C:\program files\Audacity or whatever the program installs to as long as you don't delete anything, then according to the instructions, start up Audacity and when you want to export a file to MP3, tell it where that encoder file is. It's pretty straight forward.

It's ok to learn something new everyday.

10. Too complex. I want somethign that just has it built in. I'm useless with computers I'm afraid. The guy who sent me it used a program to get into my computer(i allowed him) and then he set it up for me.
  11. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    If you want step by step instuctions, let me know.

12. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Man, ya'll need to do some research, just imagine how lousy a bassist you would be if you gave up that easily.
    there is no rocket science to computers, they mostly do it them selves especially if you are running WinXP.
    Makes a lot of stuff that used to be hard real easy...
    Try again, you will get it.
  13. According to many I am a lousy bassist anyway! :( I will try it again but if it fails this time, I am gonna get cubase and be done with it.
  14. SubversivePinko

SubversivePinko No use for an ironic title

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    Uh...if you're looking for Cubase to be simpler to use...well...let me know how that goes. Once you get it going, Audacity is as easy to use as you're going to find.

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    For ease of use, you might try Tracktion, distributed by Mackie. It's not free, though it is priced well for what it does.
  16. keb

Mar 30, 2004

It's free. And... simple. :bag: