Need a starters book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Propyro, Nov 24, 2003.

1. hey can any one point me towards a book that will help me learn proper form and get me started on the right track? All i need is a good basic starters guide, tab would be a good thing, but i can read music ... just that it takes me a while to translate and i can't go on the fly, exspecialy in bass cleff.

If you guys could provide me with links it would be even better.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    If you can already read music, stay away from tab, imo. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you can read now, the fluidity will get there eventually. As far as books go, try this thread.
  3. opps ... hmmm ... well thanks ... but i still like tab, i never play with other people and am always just playing around in my room myself.

4. tab is the root of all that is evil to the musican
    site read something everyday!!!!!!!!
  5. Idealy that would be great and i would do that ... but nothing's perfect. I don't even use tab any more ... infact it's been so long since i've played off a peice of paper. For the last few months when i was playing guitar i'd just play off the top of my head ...

as for notation ... well i'm a lazy sod ... it's much easier for me to go by tab, even when i did use notation every day i used it on the treble clef ... i have almost no experience with bass clef ... all i think i know is that a note on the second line from the bottom of the staff is an A ... i think.

6. actually its a B. if you need some help just email me. :bassist: