Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEED ADVICE ASAP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassWolf, Oct 5, 2004.

1. BassWolf

BassWolf

Aug 14, 2004
    just last night right before taking the stage it came to my attention that my bass (streamer with 2 mec soapbars) was putting out hardly any signal :bawl: . This made it way too quiet and since i was using the amp as my monitor i could hardly hear myself the whole time. Does anyone know what the problem is here? Is it the pickups or the input or what? If anyone has any advice i'd really appreciate it, thanks. :help:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im forgetting if those are active or passive? If its active, probably the battery.

3. BassWolf

BassWolf

Aug 14, 2004
    nope, mine's passive (it's a rockbass, not a warwick, unfortunately). Thanks though.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ohh, rockbass...hmm sorry then. (shoulda mentioned that before ;))

5. My list of suspects:

1. A nearly broken internal wire. Maybe around the volume pot since it involved both pups
    2. Bad solder joint
    3. Dirty pot
    4. Bad cord
    5. Amp? ;)

Did it ever come back? You jiggled everything I'm assuming - while glancing nervously at a dance floor with no butt movement! :scowl:

6. BassWolf

BassWolf

Aug 14, 2004
    Man, I don't know, I anxiously jiggled everything (or maybe it was just that my hands were shaking). I at least know that the amp is not to blame being as I ended up using a Jazzbass as a backup and the problem was solved for the moment.

I'm going to eyeball the wiring to see if I can detect any problems, if not I'll probably swallow my pride and get someone else to look at it.

As far as our "audience", they were probably too drunk to care either way, so it all worked out in the end. :rolleyes:

7. I've had this prob before and it has been the cord every time.

Before you even get the coverplate off, get a different cord, and if possible, try the different cord in a different amp. Either that or verify the cord and amp with a different axe. A simple process of elimination is in order here.