1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need advice for my first 5 stringed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Metal Smith, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Hallo all. Im glad I have found this forum, it looks cool :D

Im a bass player who have started out on a 4 string and now want to move to a 5 stringer for the extra low reach without sacrificing the G string.

Im looking for a bass for playing fast metal. I play fingerstyle and basically want a sound with max attack and maybe a bit of growl! :bassist:

I have found 8 basses that I would like to have some comments on :help: (prices are what my local danish stores sell these basses for at the moment):

1. ESP LTD B-255. Price 800$.
    This bass has a Neck-thru-body construction which generally gives more sustain. It also has a string-thru-body bridge. Is this supposted to have a positive effect to sustain as well?

2. ESP LTD F-255. Price 870$.
    Has a Neck-thru-body construction according to www.espguitars.com, but a sales person at my local store said it just looks that way and that the neck is actually glued on. Which is true??

3. Ibanez BTB405QM. Price 800$

4. Ibanez SR765. Price 890$

5. Ibanez SRX505. Price 820$

6. Spector NS2000-5. Price 1510$

7. Yamaha BB 2005. Price 2130$

8. Yamaha RBX 775. 620$

What would be a good pick in your opinion, considering prices and my taste in sound? The Yamaha BB 2005 is a bit above my price range. I think I will spend 1750$ max, but if you got a suggestion for a bit more expensive bass you can still tempt me! ;)

2. Another thing to consider when purchasing a five string: your amp. I don't know what you have, but you might want to change you cabs to better handle the B string. If that is the case, I would recommend the Dean Edge series. I've had mine for a little over two years now, and while I have had the opportunity to upgrade, I never felt like I needed to, very nice basses. Plus, the price (series runs from like $400-600, and all are nice) would leave room in your budget to upgrade your amp should the need arise. There is quite a bit of info on Dean basses here, so do a search if you want.

3. I forgot to say that out of the choices listed I like the Spector the best.

4. ok thanks rockapede :cool: I will consider that after I get the bass though. I need another paycheck first hehe and maybe my current gear can manage it anyway.

I havent had a chance to try the Spector out yet. The only one I have tried so far is the ESP LTD B-255 which I liked for its ease of playability. Im hoping to try the Spector and some of the other basses by the end of this week.

At 620$, the Yamaha RBX 775 seems like a nice deal to me. Any comments on this or my other listings? :)