1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need advice on a new Hohner B2A (DB).

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pic146, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Pic146

Pic146

Aug 6, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I live in Hong Kong, and I just went to a Tom Lee music store this morning. I saw a Hohner B2ADB (with the drop lever on the bridge). I've always wanted one of those.

The instrument is B-stock. It's been dropped by a customer and has clearly been sitting there for a while. They're offering me a 30% discount because of that, still with the full 1-year warranty, but the salespeople were less than transparent and I'm a little weary.

Here are some questions:
    -When I plugged in the bass, there is some background static that I can hear at all times, and that stops when I put my finger on the EQ switch (the last switch on the bottom). I've heard of that happening from friends and I'm sure that's not normal... What could be causing that?
    -During the drop, the top plastic part (which caps the neck, houses the ball-end of the strings and the access to the truss rod) was damaged. It does not jeopardize the strings however I'd like to have it replaced. Do you guys know of a supplier who could sell this part to me? It's a simple 2-screw mount/dismount type part.
    -I believe the model has been completely discontinued... How can the store honour a warranty if the instruments/parts aren't being made anymore? I'm a little afraid this will end up being a several month ordeal if I need to use the warranty for any reason.

That's it, thanks in advance for your help :)

2. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    The buzz sounds like it might be a bad ground. Or, it has single coil pickups and needs to not be facing the amp and could use some copper shielding in the pickup cavities.

3. Pic146

Pic146

Aug 6, 2018
    Thanks Lance, I think it might be a bad ground, I will request that they inspect it properly in their service department before I take it home.

4. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Yeah those aren't single coil pickups. You have a bad ground or a loose connection. The store tech needs to open it up and have his soldering iron at the ready :)

5. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    I’ve owned multiple Hohner headless basses, and I’ve never seen one with a plastic string retainer/headpiece; they’ve all been metal.

I’m not sure where you can get one, but I can tell you for certain that the aftermarket ones sold on eBay for Steinbergers don’t fit. I’m not talking about the string adaptor used for singleball strings that looks like a rectangle with holes drilled in it (those work), I’m talking about the full headpiece replacement.

6. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York