1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need advice on replacement speaker for EBS 15H Evolution ProLine 2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cthomassen, Apr 3, 2013.

1. cthomassen

cthomassen

Apr 3, 2013
    Hi,

I need some advice on replacing the speaker of my EBS 15H Evolution ProLine 2000. The speaker is blown so I must change it.

The stock speaker is a Eminence Kappa 15C. It has a 4 ohm rating and I'm thinking about changing it to a 15A 8 ohm to make it more easy to expand my rig. I'm using a Mark Bass F1 and it can only handle 4 or 8 ohms.

The other alternative is upgrading the speaker to for instance a Kappalite 3015, but I'm not sure if the cabinet suits this speaker.

2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Please note that the Eminence Kappa 15C has a smaller basket than most regular 15s. (It is also in my opinion one of the worst modern 15" speakers one could chose for electric bass...)
    There might be a problem fitting another (larger) 15" in the current baffle hole as it is very close to the edge. (Basket edge interfering with side section of box.) That fact also makes it very hard to increase the size of the hole in a good way. It is hard to use a saw to enlarge the hole. Router works better but does not access the narrowest corner very well.

Been there, done that (successfully...). Ended up still selling the cabinet as also the new speaker did not perform to my goals.

3. cthomassen

cthomassen

Apr 3, 2013
    Thanks for the reply AlexanderB.

So fix the cabinet with a new Kappa 15C and sell it? ;-)
    Or should I bother adding a different speaker. I that case recommendations are most welcome.

4. I would just go with a different cab. Fix and sell it. Find a stand alone cab that suits your needs. If you need more volume, add a second matching one.