Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Musicman Stingray 4-string

32 vote(s)
  2. Fender Marcus Miller 4 Jazz Bass

8 vote(s)
  3. Fender Reissue 75' Jazz Bass

1 vote(s)
  4. Fender American Deluxe Jazz

11 vote(s)
  5. Fender American P-Bass

6 vote(s)
  6. Fender American Jazz bass

6 vote(s)
  7. Fender '76 P-Bass

4 vote(s)
  8. Fender P-Bass Deluxe Special

6 vote(s)
  9. Fender Geddy Lee Signature

8 vote(s)
  1. Hey out of these basses which would you guys choose?
  2. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I definately say there isnt a specific bass for that kind of music. Im sure you could pick just about any of those and come close to their sound be fiddling with amp settings etc. but if you want to be "like them" you can always se whatt kind of bass they use.
  3. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Wow, you really have too much time on your hands to make a poll like this.

Truth is any of them will do. They all use different basses for different sounds. Davey from AFI uses a Jazz Bass. Tim Breckbridge from Thrice uses a Gibson Grabber. Tim Payne from Thursday uses a P-bass.

Don't go by what your idols are using and what people tell you will be best. They can't guess the sort of playability you like or the sound you want. Only you can decide that. Go too as many music stores as possible and just play whatever you can. Don't worry about what bassist A and B is using. Worry about what works for you.

4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Being a Fender guy, I gotta pick the USA Jazz bass. Versatile and plays well. Had you included it in the poll, I would probably said '62 reissue Jazz. You could find a used one in that price range.
  5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I wouldn't recommend the Marcus Miller for that style (although I'm sure you could make it work if you wanted to). Just about all of those would be fine with the right setup and EQ, but if I had to take a stab at it, I'd start with the Geddy Lee. Nice slender neck, and it's pretty easy to get a good, gritty sound out of it.
  6. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well thats hard to say. i mean if you want to come close to some of those bassist sounds, because i know hunter from AFI plays nothing but fender jazz basses and im not sure about nowadays but the bassist from thrice plays fender p-basses fitted with 1/4 pound pickups. now keep in mind this was back when i started listening to thrice when they first came out up to the illusion of safety i dont listen to them anymore.
  7. ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    Ya, i think any fender style bass would work with a bit of tweaking but i'm voting for the p bass special cause having that Pbass tone is real nice and the blend makes it like a jazz, the ultimate woking bass. Pick fingers whatever there are tons of good sounds waiting inside.
  8. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    What kind of bass do you have already? Use that one.

9. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada

all of them are decent for what you want. But my vote went for musicman, there just so snazy :smug:
  10. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Honestly, I am dissapointed that you people are actually telling him which bass would be best for this style of music.

"If u can't do it with a P-bass, maybe its not the bass."

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    My vote went for the Ray, great basses and will cut through the mix like you need.

xcental34x: p-bass :p
  12. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Screw it, just get a Mark Hoppus.

"If you can't do it with a Mark Hoppus, maybe its not the bass."
  13. JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    Fenders though there great just dont make that emo-esque sound that your looking for, they just can't do it without effects and twaeking. I love my Jazz bass but if i was in your situation id go MusicMan