1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Bass Store Recommendation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Third Rock, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Third Rock

Third Rock

Jun 7, 2004
    I'm looking to purchase a new Squier Precision bass soon, and I'd like to find a nice online store to purchase it from.

I've found Bass Emporium so far. I like the fact that they say they will setup your bass prior to shipping it. Are there any other stores like this?

I'm looking for one store to make all my future purchases from.
    Who do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

2. Highfox

Highfox

Mar 10, 2010
    Finland
    Knowing which part of the world you are living in might help?
    I know it's mainly US-Centric, but there are a fair amount of International users as well :)

3. Third Rock

Third Rock

Jun 7, 2004
    I'm in New Jersey. Sorry about that! :cool:

4. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Woodwind & Brasswind is very good.

5. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    I've had good luck with American musical...

6. Just curious as to why you want to use an online store. There are plenty of stores in New Jersey that carry Squier basses. I could understand if you were looking for something that is normally not found in stores such as an Alembic or Sadowsky but I don't see the point of dealing with an online store to buy a Squier.

7. Third Rock

Third Rock

Jun 7, 2004
    It's simple. I hate the stores that are local to me. I was loyal to the one store near me, until they gave me attitude returning one item when I was younger. Mind you I had bought thousands of dollars in equipment prior to that. I never set foot in the store after that.

The only one in NJ I might consider is Russo Music, which is not around the corner for me!

AMS is cool, but they don't have the VM Precision I want.

8. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
  9. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I'd look on Craigslist or eBay. LOTS of used stuff on there, and Squires seem to be plentiful on the used market. I've seen them sell for as low as $80. I've been tempted to buy one and build a Frankenbass.

10. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i can't say enough about bass central. not sure if they stock squiers or not, but their customer service is top notch.

11. Third Rock

Third Rock

Jun 7, 2004
    Thanks, I checked them out. They don't have Squiers listed on their site.

Anyone purchase from Bass Emporium want to chime in?
    They look like a pretty cool store!

12. Musician's Friend is good at what they do: mass-marketing of music gear. They honor their return policy and I've never had a problem with them that wasn't resolved. They don't set up an instrument for you, they can't help with technical or sonic questions, etc. They sell a product in a box that another company made, shipped from a mass-distribution warehouse, and they know very little about it.

Sweetwater used to be the best of the online mass-marketers, in that they designated you a personal representative and you could always deal with that person, and they'd often follow-up to see how you liked a major purchase. Good online database. Haven't deal with them in three years, though.

Bass Emporium is the *best*, though. They are knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, and their prices are very competitive. They can set up the instrument for you. The place is full of really nice and interesting basses and amps. They don't take schlock in trade and they don't have any schlock on the walls for sale. They've given me good advice even when they weren't going to make any money out it.

Last time I was in Bass Emporium, Ed Friedland was playing around, trying out some new strings. Thought about telling him I had two of his books, then figured it would be slightly less dorky to wait until I'd actually worked through the books first....:cool:

13. Bass Central, Bass Place in Arizona. The usual retail catalogs

14. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    I've had very good dealings both with Bass San Diego and Bass Northwest. Neither of them are Fender or Squier dealers, but both have excellent customer service and Bass Northwest basses tend to be well set up.

Although Bass Northwest doesn't sell Squier, they are an enthusiastic Ibanez and Dean dealer and offer several basses in that price range. Bass San Diego's budget line is Aria, which is also good.

15. Just a thought but Bass Central lists Fender products on their website. Perhaps they sell but simply do not list Squiers on their website. Might be worthwhile emailling or calling them.
    Who knows... maybe with the price range you're considering, they might have a decent used Fender for you.

16. edfriedland

edfriedland

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Well, I'm biased toward Bass Emporium since I teach there, but they do include a free setup - which in my opinion makes all the difference, especially with a Squier. Musician's Friend, GC, big box stores in general... might give you a slightly better price - like -$15 bucks tops? But they won't make sure it's playable before shipping. And of course, it's real people you're dealing with, not a website, and not underpaid/understaffed/uneducated (take your pick) employees that could give a hoot.

17. They are indeed a very cool store and bunch of guys, all bass players. All of the new basses get set up before they go out and they do a nice job. I purchased my Squier VM fretless Jazz from them and it was set up properly.

18. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    Which one? They just opened up a new store in Asbury Park

That said, I've always gotten good service and prices from the original Russo's in Hamilton (Trenton). It definitely helps that at least one of their sales staff (Rich Ratner) is a bass player

FWIW I was in there a week or two ago and they had a couple of Squier CV's hanging on the wall - a Precision and a Jazz - that were well built and (compared to even the Mexican Fenders) dirt cheap

19. + 1 to CL. No need to pay for a new Squier when the pond is stocked with good used ones.