1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help buying first AMP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by juancho, Mar 22, 2006.

1. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    Hi, Im from Argentina (sorry for my english) and Im getting my first bass and of course, also my first Amp. So I´d like to know If it would be enough for me (in what concerns about power) a 20-25W Amp or If I should try getting a more powerful one.
    Thank you very much
    Adios. Au revoir. Bye

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Your English is fine.

More power and larger speakers are always nice to have. You'll have to decide what you want to spend.

It might be a good idea to get a small, low power practice amp for use at home. Then, if you start going out to play with others, buy something more powerful for that use.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm not sure what brands you have access to, but Its nice to have AT LEAST 50w 10" combo for practice or small acoustic instrument situations. I like the Yorkville xm50 or the SWR WM10 combos. for a decent low power combo be prepared to spend about $300 USD.

if you are going to be playing with a drummer or loud electric guitar I'd recommend 100w OR MORE + 15" combo or head + cabinet. Again I like Yorkville XM100 (no extension speaker connection)$400 USD or xm200 (with speaker extension connection) $520 USD.

to buy GOOD separate amp+speakers you might spend $700-$1000 used.

good luck!

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    what type of music do you play? what bass are you playing? Do you know what kind of sound/tone you're looking for? What pricerange are you talking?

Oh, and Welcome to Talkbass! :D

5. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    Hi, first of all thank you for your answers. I think it´s great to have joined such a fast-reply forum.

I think today Im going to buy a SX SJB-62QMD bass (the link is http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitars4.html ), It would be great to know your opinion about it (but i think that might be done in another forum jej) ´cause I don´t know in USA but here they are not very known. I have chosen it because it´s reasonably priced and I prefer jazz basses than precision ones. Of course I don´t know very much about the differences, pros and cons about each instrument, but when I went to the store and plugged them, I liked a lot more the J-bass, I mean, It sounded "me".

And finally I think Im going to get a 25W Amp, because I can´t afford a more powerful one. In your replys you made it clear that maybe that´s a little weak Amp, but some friends told me that it´s always better to spend more money on the instrument than the amplifier.

Well, I´d be pleased to know what do you think about it.

Thank you all.

Juan.

6. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    Oh, great, I´ve just found an ESSEX bass guitars thread ejejej...just a matter of searching...

7. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    As I say in every thread concerning little amps: The Peavey Microbass is a fantastic little amp used by a lot of experienced bassist for practice. It's quite cheap too.

8. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    if i were you i get some thing around 200watts (maybe a yorkville combo or something) because if you want to do any giging 50watts wont cut it.

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I think you'll be very happy with your choice. I wasn't getting my hopes up when I ordered my SX, but as soon as I got it I realized that all the "hype" was much more than people blowing smoke.

If you want to learn more about the differences of J and P basses, do a search. There's a wealth of knowledge on this subject.

Also, if you have any experience or know of anyone who knows how to solder, you could do the Series/Parallel wiring mod to your bass, in order to have the ability to get close to a "fatter" P bass sound. Do a search on series/parallel in the Pickups/Electronics forum, and you'll learn all about it.

Let us know what you think when you get your bass! Congrats!

I don't really agree with what your friend said. I think that both the bass and amp are equal parts in the equation, and you shouldn't really skimp on one or the other. If you plan on doing any gigging or playing out, I would reverse what your friend said.

A high-quality bass will most likely sound like poo through a shoddy amp. Get a job, save up, and get yourself some decent amplification to go with that kick-butt bass.:D

+1. You'll need at least 100W to compete with guitarists and drummers in almost any situation.

10. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    "Wow!!..." I must say that because of 2 reasons: In these times where everybody seems to do things only motivated by money or other reasons, i mean, reasons like "helping or giving advice" are not very common. On the other hand, you people, did really took the time to reply..so thank you, thank you, thank you.

And the second reason of wow!!: Yesterday I got my SX FJB62...sunburst....incredible, sounds great, bright, fat, and it´s so well finished...every detail. Im really happy with it.

Well I won´t put every quote, but of course Ive read all the replies. I have a borrowed 100W amp, it´s a local brand (so you won´t know about it) and it´s not very well-known: quality isn´t the best, but I think the power is OK...", I really like the sound so I think that you may probably be right and I should save up more money, and wait until I can afford a really good and powerfull one.

Well it turned out to be very helpful so thank you again.

juancho.