Need Help/Cab Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JACK-bASS, Sep 4, 2004.

1. JACK-bASS

Sep 4, 2004
    I'm looking to buy a new cab, and I had some general questions. Hoping someone can help.

My head is a Gallien-Krueger 1001Rb. I got it a few months ago, and the shop I bought it at also sold me a JBL 2x10 as the cab. It worked alright at first. But the first show I played with my new bass (deluxe p-bass), it stopped working about two songs in.

I brought it in today, and the guy said A. it's completely fried; both speakers blown, and B, I never, never should have had that set-up. He said whoever sold it to me was an "idiot".

So... I need to buy a new cab, and I want to make sure whatever I get isn't going to blow out on me again. I'm unfortunately not very well versed in the terminology-- ie, how many watts/ohms/etc to look for.

The one I was thinking about getting is a Sonic 4x10. 8 ohms, 430 RMS. Would this work as a set-up, or would the GK fry it too? I called around to different music shops and some said "Yeah, that'd be totally fine. It'd be a great set-up" and some said "DON'T get a 4x10" or "Your GK will blow that too". So, now I'm all confused.

Basically: what should I look for? I'm not talking about sound -- I'll test anything before I play it to make sure it sounds right. I just want to make sure I get something that isn't going to blow out on me again

ps: the Sonic 4x10 is $200, which seems like a great deal considering the Ampeg 4x10 they had was $450+. Anyone know anything good or bad about Sonic?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Sonic seems to make solid stuff..they use Eminence speakers like many other builders. If it sounds good, it should be fine.

Sonic's web address is